UMass students came together to Stand Against Racism -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass baseball gets swept in four-game road trip to Florida Gulf Coast -

Monday, April 27, 2015

of Montreal and Toro y Moi to co-headline Pearl Street this weekend -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass administrators exploit and disrespect graduate students -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Bike Racing Club brings energy and excitement to bike racing -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Sonic Youth’s ‘Bad Moon Rising’ still stands as crucial career turning point -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises past GW on Senior Day -

Monday, April 27, 2015

How to stay sane during the long summer -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass softball drops pair of games against first-place Dayton -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Take Back the Night event raises awareness about sexual violence -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years of the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Second annual yogathon stresses Earth Day ideals to individuals -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UM eateries to undergo renovations

Steffi Porter/Collegian

Renovations are on the menu for University of Massachusetts dining commons (DC) as Auxiliary Enterprises intends to spend $69 million revamping the facilities over the next six years.

The DCs, which serve over 40,000 meals a day and five million meals a year, are close to 50 years old and outdated, according to Executive Director of Auxiliary Enterprises Ken Toong.

Kitchen upgrades – intended to create energy efficiency – retail space, dining and seating areas are some of the changes Toong said members of the University community should expect.

The first area Toong’s plans will target is Hampshire Dining Common located within the Southwest Residential Area adjacent to the Kennedy and Coolidge tower dormitories.

Toong hopes to turn Hampshire DC into “something even better than Berkshire.” The renovations will begin in January 2013, and the DC will be “off line” until September 2013, according to an email from Toong.

While the renovations are in progress, students will be temporarily inconvenienced, said Toong. To minimize the impact, only one DC will be closed at a time during the six years of renovations, said Toong. However, students will be forced to eat elsewhere for the duration of the renovations.

Toong said that other DCs will have extended hours during these times, and that Auxiliary Enterprises plans to inform students at least three months in advance of any renovations. There will also potentially, be temporary seating and dining areas in other locations on campus.

“I think UMass is … getting overcrowded, so if they were to close the DCs, that would be really inconvenient,” said sophomore Madeleine Brennan. “It would make it hectic and time-consuming to eat a meal.”

Brennan, who was eating in the Blue Wall – one of the areas scheduled to be renovated – added that she was not sure the updates were necessary.

“I think the dining halls are great as they are,” said Brennan. “There are other places that need [renovations].”

Brennan said that she thinks the money should instead be spent on fixing things like broken sinks in her dorm building.

According to Toong, UMass dining intends to pay for the $69 million renovations with bond issues and from reserve balances saved over the years for future renovations.

Some students, though, do not think the renovations are worth the money or the temporary inconvenience, and said that the deemed outdated DCs are functional as they stand presently.

“I don’t want them to renovate at all,” said sophomore Jess Lennox. “The money can go to a lot better things, like classroom buildings. The library could use something new, but I think everything’s fine and these renovations are completely unnecessary.”

According to Toong, some students are unhappy because they believe the changes are happening “right away,” but he believes the three-month notice is an acceptable warning.

Junior Allie Connell, however, said she is excited about the prospect of better dining halls.

“I feel like the buildings need updating, especially Franklin, which is disgusting,” said Connell.  She also said the renovations are absolutely worth the money, but closing the DCs during the school year isn’t a good idea and would rather they did the updating at a time where it would not be an imposition on students.

Sophomore Deirdre Cedrone also said while the renovations “are worth the money,” she would rather see funds spent elsewhere.

“I think everything is great now,” she said. “I would never complain about the food. I think the school should focus more on tuition costs and stuff like that.”

Cedrone added that she likes the DCs the way they are, and that nothing really needs to change.

“I think in the long run it will be worth the money, but in the meantime it’s going to be a really big inconvenience,” said freshman Scott Clooney. “These dining halls are already crowded as is.”

The $69 million dollars will be spent between all DCs and cafes on campus. Hampshire DC renovations will cost $14 million, Commonwealth College Cyber Café will cost $1.8 million, Campus Center Dining will cost $11 million, Campus Center Concourse will cost $1.2 million,  Worcester DC renovations will cost $25 million, Franklin DC will cost $15 million and the Library Café should cost a projected $1 million.

Toong said he also aims to improve UMass dining services’ food selection and presentation. These improvements, according to Toong, will include better coffee, artisan bread at the Berkshire deli station, freshly ground peanut butter at Worcester and Berkshire DCs and a new menu for Baby Berk that features tacos.

“We want to make every meal the customer consumes an experience,” said Toong.

Berkshire has also made the recent addition of china plates, as part of Toong’s goal to make the dining experience more like “eating at home,” but one student feels it is an accident waiting to happen.

“I don’t think that was a smart move,” said Brennan. “I saw a kid who looked like he was probably a freshman drop two plates and a glass on the ground, and everyone started clapping. I think that’s just going to happen all the time.”

Steffi Porter can be reached at steffi@student.umass.edu and Sarah Fonder can be reached at sfonder@student.umass.edu