BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

How to start meditating (because yes, you really should) -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass library falcon dies at age 14 -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass set for weekend series with Merrimack -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

You drink, You drive … You lose? -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Minutewomen ousted by Fordham -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse hopes to move past difficult offseason -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Derrick Gordon: ‘We’re not quite on the same page’ -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Coming together for HBO’s “Togetherness” -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

“The Imitation Game” plays into mimicry with an underwhelming narrative about Alan Turing -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

The dangers of ‘educate yourself’ -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Professor of practice: Ambassador Baibourtian teaches with a global touch -

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Town Gown Steering Committee makes recommendations to UMass chancellor, town manager -

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Limited services available for Continuing Education students -

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Penalty killing crucial to Minutemen’s success

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

Statistics rarely inform the outcome of a game, let alone the success or disappointment of an entire season.

It’s that age-old, “you still have to play the game,” way of thinking.

However, the Massachusetts hockey team, despite losing on back-to-back nights Friday and Saturday against UMass Lowell, can actually look to one particular number to explain the team’s success since the turn of the new year.

UMass (9-10-5, 5-8-4 Hockey East) is 3-2-1 now since the calendar turned to 2012, taking two games against Vermont, as well as one over then-No. 4 Boston College at home.

The key to the Minutemen’s recent turnaround: success on the penalty kill.

On the surface, penalty killing is just another part of the game, another small piece to the puzzle.

Not only has the team’s recent change of style translated into important conference victories and points, but also its success makes the argument that, if the Minutemen are able to kill those crucial penalties late in games they have lost earlier this season, UMass could have a more impressive record.

“Although we did a good job killing penalties, [penalties later in the second period] really changed the mentality of the team,” said UMass coach Don Cahoon following Friday’s loss at home, the first for the Minutemen this season.

Against Northeastern (Oct. 7), and Boston University on back-to-back nights (Oct. 28 and 29), UMass, committing penalties late in contests with one or two-goal leads, couldn’t hold on to them. The Minutemen went 0-1-2 in those three games.

Although Cahoon said Friday’s loss was a “lost opportunity,” penalty killing has made the difference for UMass as of late.

Still, penalty killing comes and goes, just as any trend. When they were unable to kill those crucial penalties and the opponents have scored off mistakes, the Minutemen have run into trouble.

“[Committing too many penalties] is the undoing of this team,” said Cahoon. “That is what is getting in the way of this team from managing itself.”

Only time will tell if the team can rebound and get back on track.
Mastalerz takes charge

Just when one would have thought the goaltending carousel had come to another short stop, it has kept on spinning.

After three consecutive starts in net for goaltender Steve Mastalerz, sophomore Jeff Teglia manned the pipes for UMass on Saturday.

Teglia made 24 saves for the Minutemen on his way to his fifth loss of the season. Teglia’s last start for the Maroon and White before Saturday was Jan. 7 against the Catamounts at Fenway Park. He stopped 24 shots on his way to his first career win.

“I thought Jeff played fairly well,” said Cahoon of Teglia’s performance Saturday. “He played well enough to give us a chance…we just didn’t get it done.”

Before Saturday’s affair, Mastalerz held a tight grip on the job, defeating the then-No. 4 Eagles, helping him to receive another start.

Fellow freshman Kevin Boyle once again held the reins for a period of time, stringing together five-straight starts (Dec. 2-Jan. 5), while also defeating then-No. 1 BC back on Nov. 5 in just his fifth career start. Mastalerz was sidelined to start the season with a lower body injury.

After this weekend’s results, count on Cahoon to continue to mix it up in net.

As the season comes down to the critical games that will decide the conference standings, having three, fully healthy guys to man between the pipes may mean all the difference.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scournoy@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Courrnoyer.