Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Penalty killing crucial to Minutemen’s success

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

Statistics rarely inform the outcome of a game, let alone the success or disappointment of an entire season.

It’s that age-old, “you still have to play the game,” way of thinking.

However, the Massachusetts hockey team, despite losing on back-to-back nights Friday and Saturday against UMass Lowell, can actually look to one particular number to explain the team’s success since the turn of the new year.

UMass (9-10-5, 5-8-4 Hockey East) is 3-2-1 now since the calendar turned to 2012, taking two games against Vermont, as well as one over then-No. 4 Boston College at home.

The key to the Minutemen’s recent turnaround: success on the penalty kill.

On the surface, penalty killing is just another part of the game, another small piece to the puzzle.

Not only has the team’s recent change of style translated into important conference victories and points, but also its success makes the argument that, if the Minutemen are able to kill those crucial penalties late in games they have lost earlier this season, UMass could have a more impressive record.

“Although we did a good job killing penalties, [penalties later in the second period] really changed the mentality of the team,” said UMass coach Don Cahoon following Friday’s loss at home, the first for the Minutemen this season.

Against Northeastern (Oct. 7), and Boston University on back-to-back nights (Oct. 28 and 29), UMass, committing penalties late in contests with one or two-goal leads, couldn’t hold on to them. The Minutemen went 0-1-2 in those three games.

Although Cahoon said Friday’s loss was a “lost opportunity,” penalty killing has made the difference for UMass as of late.

Still, penalty killing comes and goes, just as any trend. When they were unable to kill those crucial penalties and the opponents have scored off mistakes, the Minutemen have run into trouble.

“[Committing too many penalties] is the undoing of this team,” said Cahoon. “That is what is getting in the way of this team from managing itself.”

Only time will tell if the team can rebound and get back on track.
Mastalerz takes charge

Just when one would have thought the goaltending carousel had come to another short stop, it has kept on spinning.

After three consecutive starts in net for goaltender Steve Mastalerz, sophomore Jeff Teglia manned the pipes for UMass on Saturday.

Teglia made 24 saves for the Minutemen on his way to his fifth loss of the season. Teglia’s last start for the Maroon and White before Saturday was Jan. 7 against the Catamounts at Fenway Park. He stopped 24 shots on his way to his first career win.

“I thought Jeff played fairly well,” said Cahoon of Teglia’s performance Saturday. “He played well enough to give us a chance…we just didn’t get it done.”

Before Saturday’s affair, Mastalerz held a tight grip on the job, defeating the then-No. 4 Eagles, helping him to receive another start.

Fellow freshman Kevin Boyle once again held the reins for a period of time, stringing together five-straight starts (Dec. 2-Jan. 5), while also defeating then-No. 1 BC back on Nov. 5 in just his fifth career start. Mastalerz was sidelined to start the season with a lower body injury.

After this weekend’s results, count on Cahoon to continue to mix it up in net.

As the season comes down to the critical games that will decide the conference standings, having three, fully healthy guys to man between the pipes may mean all the difference.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scournoy@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Courrnoyer.