UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Minutemen hockey captain nominated for Hobey Baker Award

In order to be nominated for the Hobey Baker Award, one must show strength and character on and off the ice. One should not only display exceptional skill in all phases of the game, but also integrity to one’s team. One must also exhibit outstanding sportsmanship as well as scholastic achievement.

T.J. Syner has exemplified that.

The captain of the Massachusetts hockey team has been nominated for this prestigious award, given to college hockey’s player of the year.

As far as statistics go, Syner has definitely earned it.

The senior forward is the leading scorer for the Minutemen this season with 28 points (11 goals and 17 assists), which is good for sixth overall in the hockey east and 25th in all of division one college hockey.

Although Syner has been an effective player throughout his entire career at UMass, scoring a total of 35 goals, 53 assists and 88 points, this season, especially, has been one to remember for the Springfield, MA native as he has constantly found himself on the scoreboard for the Minutemen.

Consistent would be an understatement to describe Syner’s play this year as he has only failed to score four times in 24 total games. If that can’t be considered valuable enough, UMass has only won one of those four games, a 3-2 victory over Vermont at Fenway Park Jan. 7.

Syner has also had six multi-point games, including a two-goal performance in a pivotal, 4-0 win over then-No. 4 Boston College Jan. 13 and three assists in a 5-3 win over Bentley Oct. 14, and has a plus-minus ratio of plus 11.

Along with his on-ice accolades, Syner has also been named to the HEA All-Academic team twice.

Previous winners of the Hobey Baker award include Chris Drury (1998), a retired twelve-year National Hockey League veteran who won a Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalnche in 2001, and also a former member of the Buffalo Sabres and New York Rangers. As well as 2010 Olympic hero Ryan Miller (2001), who led the United States national team to a silver medal and has also spent his eight-year career with the Sabres.

That’s some pretty good company to be in the same discussion with.

The selection process for the award begins with each division one hockey coach selecting three players from their conference, as well as the entire nation, as nominees for the award.

Those nominees are placed on a ballot that 58 coaches fill. From there, the top ten is determined.

The final process includes the determination of a winner out of the ten finalists by an official Selection Committee, which includes various media personnel, NHL scouts and other college hockey coaches across the country.

The winner will be announced from a field of three Hat Trick finalists on April 6.

Fans have the ability to vote for Syner on Umassathletics.com from now until March 15, the day the top ten will be announced.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Canelas.