Ken Toong bets dinner for six on Super Bowl outcome

Justin Surgent/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts and New York University have gotten in the Super Bowl spirit with a friendly food wager as the New England Patriots face the New York Giants in the Super Bowl on Feb. 5, according to a press release.

UMass dining services has bet a meal for six on the Patriots winning the Super Bowl. According to the terms of the wager, the losing university must cook a regional meal for the winner. Ken Toong, executive director of Auxiliary Enterprises at UMass, and the initiator of the bet he is excited to receive “some regional delicacies from his counterpart at NYU,” as said in the press release.

Toong suggested the idea for a deemed “friendly food wager” to Owen Moore, the assistant vice president for business development in campus services at NYU, according to the release.

The terms of the bet are such that if the Giants win, Toong will send a New England Clambake feast for six people with all the “trimmings.” The meal will include everything from chowder, lobsters, baked beans and cranberry treats, according to the press release.

Willie Sng, executive chef at UMass dining services will be preparing the meal, should the Giants win. The meal will be sponsored by Blount Fine Foods of Fall River at an approximated cost of $300, according to the release.

If the Patriots win, Moore intends to send Toong a dinner for six that will include Waldorf salad, dry-aged New York Strip steaks, creamed spinach, Empire State potatoes, pastrami and New York-style cheese cake.

Toong added that this bet is a rematch of the 2008 wager, when the Giants defeated the Patriots. He also explained that his record so far in Super Bowl food bets backing the Patriots is 3-1, according to the press release.