UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sophomore swimmer Meriza Werenski excelling in increased role -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

SGA senator plans survey on bigotry -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Minutemen fall to Akron 30-6 on Tuesday night MACtion -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Awaken your awareness to sleeping -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

T-Swift v. Spotify: The battle over dying album sales -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Administration responds to Tyler Molander letter

To the editor:

Beginning Sunday, Jan. 29, a University of Massachusetts student distributed a letter to several thousand members of the campus community. In the letter, the student expressed very real sentiments about loneliness, isolation and his angst about the compartmentalized nature of social circles on most college campuses. There were no explicit threats and after several days of investigating the matter, we now know there were no threats implied. It is clear, however, that the letter was disruptive and unsettling. Well-intentioned students called and emailed several offices on campus en masse, concerned about the welfare of the writer and the safety of the campus.

In response, the University took compassionate, quick-moving and thought-out steps to assess the situation with two goals in mind: (1) support a member of the community obviously in distress and (2) identify and then mitigate any potential threat to the UMass community. We believe that we achieved those goals. That work is nuanced and despite our best efforts we realized we would not be able to assuage every concern while maintaining confidentiality standards. The shared commitment we’ve made to creating a holistically safe living and learning environment was our guiding standard.

I know the letter triggered concerns and a flood of emotions across campus. The general themes that the student identified in his letter – loneliness and isolation – are very real issues. If the letter raised those concerns for you or a friend, please reach out to the various offices dedicated to supporting students, including, Counseling and Assessment Services, Dean of Students Office, Residential Life, Religious and Spiritual Life, Center for Multicultural Advancement and Student Success, Center for Student Development.

Thank you for proactively and sensitively reaching out to University officials to express your thoughts in this matter. Ultimately, the health, welfare and security of our campus is a shared responsibility and in the past few days UMass has demonstrated a sincere commitment to those common goals.

Enku Gelaye
Dean of Students and Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and
Campus Life
University of Massachusetts Amherst

8 Responses to “Administration responds to Tyler Molander letter”
  1. A bit of a clarification around Counseling on-campus. In September 2010 Counseling and Assessment Services and Mental Health Services merged to form a new unit: The Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH). Our offices are located in Hills North and Berkshire House. We provide brief and intermittent psychotherapies, crisis intervention and community consultation. To reach us call our main # at 545-2337.
    Thanks,
    Harry Rockland-Miller, Ph.D.
    Director, Center for Counseling and Psychological Health

2. It’s hard to “support a member of the community obviously in distress” when you force him to withdraw from the university.

3. Ed Cutting says:

If anyone ever wants to know how the Holocaust happened, one need only look at Student Affairs, CCPH and the UMPD. There is so much that I can’t say for legal reasons here it probably is best to just say that we need to remember that the Jews were the *second* group of people whom Hitler killed, he killed off another group first.

The same group that Enku Gelaye’s lynch mob discusses every Wednesday afternoon and decides which ones they will kick out of school this week. At least Nathan Bedford Forrest could say that he didn’t know any better, what is your excuse Enku, Harry, Ben, Catherine?

ACT delinda est….

4. Brian says:

Ok, so, this letter says that… umm… wait, what exactly DOES it say, anyway? I know nothing more about the Molander case after reading this than I did before. Seems like the administration just wrote an empty statement to pretend they actually give a damn.

5. Eli Gottlieb says:

Ed, this is my fifth year reading the Collegian, and you’ve always taken the cake for nutty bullshit. Hitler persecuted lonely nerdy kids?

6. Jon says:

Eli, don’t bother asking. Ed cannot confirm or deny your rebuttal, due to legal reasons.

7. Jarred Rose says:

“If anyone ever wants to know how the Holocaust happened, one need only look at Student Affairs, CCPH and the UMPD.”

Are you kidding me Ed? To compare the death of 6 million people with even the possible wrongful withdrawal of a college student is nothing less than disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

8. Lise Sheehan says:

I can’t understand what the fuss is all about. Even if someone percieved a threat, they could have staked out the meeting place. I see someone who had the nerve to put themself out there and got squashed. I often think about how to start a movement like the one he tried to start. The haters are everywhere.