Feldman: Shoes to don despite February disasters

dejahthoris/Flickr
dejahthoris/Flickr

The month of February poses a real and serious threat to us all.

The sky can open up to snow at any point, all the while bringing us ever so close to the rainy season of spring. There are plenty of ways to punch up an outfit without falling victim to wet socks. Rainy and snowy days often yield some sartorially horrific outfits on campus. Here’s how to avoid soggy socks in style.

Rubber rain boots are perhaps the most overlooked (and most effective) way to trudge around campus. If one is looking for all-rubber rain protection, look to Tretorn or Hunter.

Tretorn is a Swedish company that has been making rubber boots and rainwear since long before I was born. They are having a sale  right now, allowing you to snag a pair of these Swedish beauties for $53 instead of $75 for both men and women.

Men and women can also find a great pair of rubber boots in the Hunter collection. Hunter has been trending more with women on the UMass campus, but the men’s boots are pretty cool too. Hunter is a bit steeper on the monetary scale than Tretorn, and part of that is definitely about paying for the name (albeit they are certainly high quality boots). They start at $125 and Hunter also makes fleece boot liners sold separately for the extra-chilly, rainy/snowy days.

If one is looking for some serious American classics, look no further. Here are three brands that reek of classical style: L.L. Bean, Timberland and Sperry Topsider.

L.L. Bean’s famous Bean Boots are definitely high quality and a great way to fight the elements. They can be seen on students all over campus. They start at $119, but shearling-lined Bean Boots are $249. Yeah, you’re definitely paying for superior quality with this footwear.

Next on my list of great weather-fighting shoes are the Timberland Earthkeepers 2.0. These boots are probably my personal favorite purchase in a long time, if not of all time. The Earthkeepers 2.0 are a revamped pair of boots that pay homage to the men’s work boots of the 1960s with their white soles and deep leather hues. In short, these aren’t your regular old Timbs, but rather a pair of boots that are both eye-catching and masculine, both modern and unbelievably classic. These boots will likely never go out of style, especially when paired with some dark wash worn-in Levis. If you’re lucky, you can find last season’s for $130 – though you wouldn’t be getting the white sole – but on their website this season’s Timberland Earthkeepers 2.0 go for $185. They’re worth it.

Perhaps the most important staple for New England men and women are Sperry Topsider boat shoes. Sperry boat shoes might just be Nantucket’s favorite classic item and have also been sported all over the UMass campus for countless semesters. Sperry Topsider boat shoes start at $70 and come in a wide range of colors, patterns, fabrics and prices. They are the perfect pair for the rainy spring days that are just around the corner.

It has been a surprisingly mild winter thus far, but that doesn’t mean we’ll avoid the crappy days altogether. Spring is just around the corner, and somehow the sky never seems to open up quite as much as it does right outside W.E.B. Du Bois Library. Avoid getting soaked, and avoid having “off” days. This collection of shoes is a great way to stay warm, dry and completely ahead of the game.

Dane Feldman is a Collegian columnist and can be reached at [email protected].