Esho making an impact for Minutemen

He won’t lead the team in points, he won’t lead the team in minutes played and he won’t even crack the starting five, but he might just be the most important piece to the Massachusetts men’s basketball team’s puzzle.

Standing at 6-foot-8, forward Maxie Esho is the only first-year player currently seeing consistent minutes for UMass, but his recent contributions have done anything but suggest his inexperience.

After sitting out last season as a redshirt, Esho has seen his role increase as this season has progressed, and is making the most out of his opportunities when they come.

He won’t light up the box score with huge numbers on a nightly basis. In fact, his 13 minutes per game is the least among players on the roster who have seen action in at least 23 games, but the energy and athleticism he brings to the floor when he gets his chances haven’t gone unnoticed.

“He’s kind of a non-position guy and he’s really an inside-out player that has done a great job on our press as we saw [on Wednesday],” said UMass coach Derek Kellogg. “He’s pretty good in the zone too, and I really think he’s starting to get comfortable.”

Esho’s wingspan and length have made him a reliable player on the defensive side of the ball, as he causes havoc on the press and helps create turnovers for his teammates to get on the break.

But the Upper Marlboro, Md., native can also make his presence felt on the offensive side of the floor, as he’s often seen on the receiving end of flashy alley-oop slams, in addition to the athletic plays he makes off the dribble.

Those plays have been happening more often recently, as he’s getting more and more chances to play as the season wears on.

With the exception of a short six-minute stint against Saint Louis, Esho has averaged 17.2 minutes per game since Jan. 18, and scored a career-high 12 points in the Minutemen’s road victory at Richmond on Jan. 21.

“The biggest thing for young kids is getting in college condition and game shape, and I think he’s starting to get there,” said Kellogg.

Esho’s recent contributions may be even more important and will need to continue for UMass considering the losses of freshman big man Cady Lalanne and junior swingman Sampson Carter earlier this season.

Carter is serving a medical redshirt since injuring a labrum muscle in his hip in early late November, while Lalanne’s return is in question after he injured his foot against Central Connecticut State on Dec. 30.

Both of those losses have affected the Minutemen, as its current frontcourt is extremely thin with Sean Carter and Terrell Vinson seeing the bulk of the minutes at the four and five spots. Wiry forward Raphiael Putney has even been forced into some minutes against opposing big men, a matchup that won’t often land in UMass’ favor.

That makes Esho’s job even more important, as he’ll likely be heavily called upon down the stretch of the season to not only give relief to the starters, but bring quality production off the bench with his size and length on both ends of the floor.

“We’re actually pretty thin up front right now, and I’d say somewhat small,” said Kellogg. “But when you can add him, another 6-foot-8 guy with some length and long arms and athleticism, I think that can make up for some of the size difference. But we need him to keep playing better, keep improving and really bring that energy that he brings which I think really helps the team.”

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Hewitt.