Brawl Busters Beats All

Courtesy of Reggie Kwok

If you ever wanted to show Team Fortress 2 without the mature parts, this is like the game.

Brawl Busters is a fighting MMO published by Rock Hippo Productions and Weezor, and developed by Skeinglobe. This game features a lobby-based player versus player (PvP) and player versus environment (PvE) action, which means that games are picked up within a few seconds.

Players choose one of the five classes available: Firefighter, Boxer, Rocker, Slugger, and Blitzer. Both the Firefighter and Slugger are long ranged Busters, while the Boxer, Rocker, and Blitzer are melee brawlers. The long ranged Busters have a difficult time combating the melee Busters; therefore, the melee Busters have an advantage over the long ranged Busters.

For PVP, Brawl Busters presents classical and revolutionary game modes. Team Death Match and Free for All are different modes for players that want to run in and knock Busters out. Glow Rush requires more attention for the players, because they only need to kill other enemy Busters who have Glow. The first side that receives forty eight Glow wins. The Co-op game modes include beating up waves of zombies. Both PVE and PVP encourages running for more HP, which elongates the matches.

In order to stop players from quitting mid game, the game should implement a BP penalty for leaving mid game. On the other hand, the game play is jolting because enemy Busters can ambush at any time. Smooth controls allow players to dodge and attack when they need to. When the game is almost over, the match point theme plays. The most uplifting feelings come from the music.

The music in this video game is a cross of rock, jazz, and synthesized music. The only music problem is that I am left wanting more. The sound of the electric guitar and bass accompanied with trumpet works together to create the anxiety of knocking out that last brawler before the other team does the same. When players receive certain power ups from hitting kiosks, themes play in the background, like when a Buster on the same team receives the Defense Up power, a hardcore guitar comes into the background. Even the main menu theme sounds like a party is starting, which sounds inviting to explore the city landscape.

The city is filled with fire hydrants, buses, and rampant cars that go over the speed limit, while barrels explode with the color of the team that hit it last. The vibrant reds and blues on the characters fuel this chaotic game filled with different time settings. Some maps are set during the day, while some are at night, which are well lit by the surrounding city lights. I would like to see a map that is not set in the urban city, in order to feel fresh and not repetitive. A map that is based around a school that has random crowds of students running over the Busters would be a welcome addition.

With impressive game play, addicting music, and interesting items within the setting, Brawl Busters is worth at least an hour of game play that lasts a lifetime. All avid video game players must witness the hectic glory that is Brawl Busters.

Reggie Kwok can be reached at [email protected].