UMPD seeking help identifying individuals

Maria Uminski/Collegian

On Feb. 10, the University of Massachusetts Police Department sent an email to the University community with the subject header “Crime Alert: Southwest Disturbance.”

The email asked all faculty members, staff and students to visit the police department’s website “for an important public safety crime alert.”

The link took viewers to a post on the UMPD’s website seeking assistance in identifying “individuals who were involved in the post-Super Bowl disturbance in the Southwest Residential Area on Feb. 5, 2012.”

Additionally, the police told the community that “anyone with information as to the identity of these individuals is encouraged to contact the UMPD Detective Bureau TIPS line at 577-8477.”

According to Detective Gerald Perkins, as of Sunday afternoon “several tips have come in,” to the hotline, though the UMPD declined to comment on the status of the investigation.

Deputy Chief of Police Patrick Archbald addressed why the department is looking for these individuals.

“After dispersal order is given, if you remain in that area you are then in violation of the dispersal order [and] in violation of the law and subject to arrest. Everyone there was subject to arrest. [We are] looking at the footage and very seriously looking at additional charges.”

The email received a mention on the popular Facebook page UMass Memes. The page featured a college-aged male smoking a marijuana cigarette with the text, “Recognizes robe girl from riot, doesn’t rat her out to UMPD.” The meme was liked by 95 people.

-Collegian News Staff