UMass men’s soccer falls to No. 6 Syracuse in season opener -

UMass football boasts young, balanced rushing attack going into 2016 season -

UMass football looks to add more size, depth on defensive side heading into 2016 -

UMass football gets back in action with start of training camp -

UMass football coach Mark Whipple announces Ross Comis as starting quarterback, transfer Andrew Ford close behind -

Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Anti-Nuke Dialogue Turns Up Heat on Vermont Yankee

Grassroots activists and University of Massachusetts students gathered for a dialogue on closing the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Station at the Cape Cod Lounge in the Student Union on Tuesday evening.

The Safe and Green Energy (SAGE) Alliance and the Citizens Awareness Network teamed up for the discussion, hoping to kindle support for the environmental initiative.

“This is an old, rundown nuke,” said Bob Bady, a coordinator for SAGE. “This is a corporation, putting as little money into it as they can. Our concern is that this is the most dangerous possible scenario, to keep running this plant.”

Thirty miles up the Connecticut River from UMass in Vernon, Vt., the plant’s operating license was extended by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for another 20 years.

A successful grassroots activist campaign resulted in the Vermont State Legislature voting to block the plant’s license extension. Entergy – the corporation in charge of Vermont Yankee – is suing the state to keep the plant open.

The coordinators described the Vermont Yankee plant as utilizing the same containment housing design as the infamous Fukushima Daiichi plant, the site of a March 2011 nuclear disaster in Japan.

And for reasons to decommission the reactor, the coordinators pointed to numerous malfunctions in the aging Yankee power plant – such as the cooling tower’s collapse into the Connecticut River and leaks of the radioactive isotope Tritium into the area.

“This is not a clean energy source,” Bady said

There is a spent fuel pool on site, which was built for seven years of waste and now contains 40, according to Bady. He also described the uranium extraction process as affecting vulnerable communities by contaminating water sources and requiring large amounts of money and carbon emissions.

However, the Entergy website claims that nuclear-generated electricity is “safe, reliable and clean.”

After looking at the evacuation zones in case of accidents at the nearby reactors, Bady said there were “four city blocks in Worcester that aren’t on someone’s evacuation plan.”

After the presentation, the SAGE Alliance fielded questions and encouraged a dialogue among the audience members to help in coming up with ideas on building a grassroots campaign.

In their own words, “Safe and Green Energy is a coalition of groups for directing nonviolent campaigns to create public pressure to close down these plants.”

SAGE is visiting campuses that would be affected by a disaster at the Yankee plant, hoping to tap into the same spirit that drove the Wisconsin Protests and Occupy Wall Street.

Approximately 12 people attended the event, clustered into the first three rows of chairs. The Cape Cod Lounge wasn’t packed, but those that attended the dialogue seemed eager to converse and trade ideas on shutting down the power plant. Even after the forum concluded, many stuck around to continue the discussion.

Kendra Ulrich, another activist heading SAGE, was optimistic about the Safe and Green Campaign.

“It’s going really, really well,” Ulrich said, in reference to working with students and committees to create the regional movement.

Ulrich got started in nuclear activism after discovering the Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Plant, which is located in Cleveland, Ohio – where she grew up. The facility had a pineapple-sized hole in the containment housing, which highlighted the issue for her. She got involved with the fight against Vermont Yankee after going to school in New Hampshire.

The Safe and Green Campaign is gaining momentum with numerous upcoming events including a mock evacuation of Brattleboro, Vt. on March 11, the one-year anniversary of the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. Other events will include a rally outside Entergy’s Headquarters on March 22 and nonviolent direct action training days.

The SAGE Alliance is a decentralized campaign, made up of several dozen “Affinity Groups.” These localized groups are largely autonomous but send representatives to meet with the rest of the Alliance to coordinate action.

“We suspect we’ll be arrested,” Ulrich said of the upcoming events. “We are not going to let these corporations continue to subvert our democracy or poison our communities.”

Thomas Barnes can be reached at tbarnes@student.umass.edu.

4 Responses to “Anti-Nuke Dialogue Turns Up Heat on Vermont Yankee”
  1. James Jennings says:

What is the net present value of 100,000 years of safe storage for radioactive waste? There isn’t that much money on earth today. Nuclear is fiscally bankrupt and morally bankrupt.

2. Howard Shaffer says:

SAGE continues their distortions.
    1. Entergy put many millions in to upgrading the plant for more power. It is silly to imply that Entergy bought the plant to run it for just ten years, then upgraded it and provided used fuel storage.
    2.The MK I Containment is the same design as Fukushima Daiichi 1,2,3 that melted down, but that is irrelevant. Any reactor that lost cooling for that long would melt down. The reactors all withstood the earthquake. It was the tusnami that caused the loss of electric power.
    3.One cell of one of two 11 cell cooling towers partially collapsed on to the ground. It was in the tower further from the river. Confirm by checking Google images.
    4.Tritium in the form of tritiated water was an is in the ground. A little was measured in the river. It exists naturally in the river. Notice SAGE never gives any numbers. Just words are part of their scare stories.
    5.The fuel is safe in the pool. The building was designed for impact by a telephone pole traveling 360 mph-a tornado with 300 mph winds moving at 60 mph; plus earthquakes, rain, snow etc.
    6.Davis-Besse plant had a hole in the reactor vessel head body, but the liner was intact. There was no leak. It was a close call.
    7.The anti nuke tactic is to compare nuclear power to perfection. Try that with airplanes or cars. The are 32,000 early deaths and $280 billion in health costs every year from burning coal, per the EPA. I that acceptable?

3. Fire with Fire says:

Why does SAGE pretend that technology does not march on? Solar and wind power are not as efficient as nuclear power on the scale it is, yet they are proponents for research and investment. Why not nuclear power as well? Is it impossible to find safe disposal, etc for nuclear power?

4. tom says:

I won.