Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Anti-Nuke Dialogue Turns Up Heat on Vermont Yankee

Grassroots activists and University of Massachusetts students gathered for a dialogue on closing the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Station at the Cape Cod Lounge in the Student Union on Tuesday evening.

The Safe and Green Energy (SAGE) Alliance and the Citizens Awareness Network teamed up for the discussion, hoping to kindle support for the environmental initiative.

“This is an old, rundown nuke,” said Bob Bady, a coordinator for SAGE. “This is a corporation, putting as little money into it as they can. Our concern is that this is the most dangerous possible scenario, to keep running this plant.”

Thirty miles up the Connecticut River from UMass in Vernon, Vt., the plant’s operating license was extended by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for another 20 years.

A successful grassroots activist campaign resulted in the Vermont State Legislature voting to block the plant’s license extension. Entergy – the corporation in charge of Vermont Yankee – is suing the state to keep the plant open.

The coordinators described the Vermont Yankee plant as utilizing the same containment housing design as the infamous Fukushima Daiichi plant, the site of a March 2011 nuclear disaster in Japan.

And for reasons to decommission the reactor, the coordinators pointed to numerous malfunctions in the aging Yankee power plant – such as the cooling tower’s collapse into the Connecticut River and leaks of the radioactive isotope Tritium into the area.

“This is not a clean energy source,” Bady said

There is a spent fuel pool on site, which was built for seven years of waste and now contains 40, according to Bady. He also described the uranium extraction process as affecting vulnerable communities by contaminating water sources and requiring large amounts of money and carbon emissions.

However, the Entergy website claims that nuclear-generated electricity is “safe, reliable and clean.”

After looking at the evacuation zones in case of accidents at the nearby reactors, Bady said there were “four city blocks in Worcester that aren’t on someone’s evacuation plan.”

After the presentation, the SAGE Alliance fielded questions and encouraged a dialogue among the audience members to help in coming up with ideas on building a grassroots campaign.

In their own words, “Safe and Green Energy is a coalition of groups for directing nonviolent campaigns to create public pressure to close down these plants.”

SAGE is visiting campuses that would be affected by a disaster at the Yankee plant, hoping to tap into the same spirit that drove the Wisconsin Protests and Occupy Wall Street.

Approximately 12 people attended the event, clustered into the first three rows of chairs. The Cape Cod Lounge wasn’t packed, but those that attended the dialogue seemed eager to converse and trade ideas on shutting down the power plant. Even after the forum concluded, many stuck around to continue the discussion.

Kendra Ulrich, another activist heading SAGE, was optimistic about the Safe and Green Campaign.

“It’s going really, really well,” Ulrich said, in reference to working with students and committees to create the regional movement.

Ulrich got started in nuclear activism after discovering the Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Plant, which is located in Cleveland, Ohio – where she grew up. The facility had a pineapple-sized hole in the containment housing, which highlighted the issue for her. She got involved with the fight against Vermont Yankee after going to school in New Hampshire.

The Safe and Green Campaign is gaining momentum with numerous upcoming events including a mock evacuation of Brattleboro, Vt. on March 11, the one-year anniversary of the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. Other events will include a rally outside Entergy’s Headquarters on March 22 and nonviolent direct action training days.

The SAGE Alliance is a decentralized campaign, made up of several dozen “Affinity Groups.” These localized groups are largely autonomous but send representatives to meet with the rest of the Alliance to coordinate action.

“We suspect we’ll be arrested,” Ulrich said of the upcoming events. “We are not going to let these corporations continue to subvert our democracy or poison our communities.”

Thomas Barnes can be reached at tbarnes@student.umass.edu.

4 Responses to “Anti-Nuke Dialogue Turns Up Heat on Vermont Yankee”
  1. James Jennings says:

What is the net present value of 100,000 years of safe storage for radioactive waste? There isn’t that much money on earth today. Nuclear is fiscally bankrupt and morally bankrupt.

2. Howard Shaffer says:

SAGE continues their distortions.
    1. Entergy put many millions in to upgrading the plant for more power. It is silly to imply that Entergy bought the plant to run it for just ten years, then upgraded it and provided used fuel storage.
    2.The MK I Containment is the same design as Fukushima Daiichi 1,2,3 that melted down, but that is irrelevant. Any reactor that lost cooling for that long would melt down. The reactors all withstood the earthquake. It was the tusnami that caused the loss of electric power.
    3.One cell of one of two 11 cell cooling towers partially collapsed on to the ground. It was in the tower further from the river. Confirm by checking Google images.
    4.Tritium in the form of tritiated water was an is in the ground. A little was measured in the river. It exists naturally in the river. Notice SAGE never gives any numbers. Just words are part of their scare stories.
    5.The fuel is safe in the pool. The building was designed for impact by a telephone pole traveling 360 mph-a tornado with 300 mph winds moving at 60 mph; plus earthquakes, rain, snow etc.
    6.Davis-Besse plant had a hole in the reactor vessel head body, but the liner was intact. There was no leak. It was a close call.
    7.The anti nuke tactic is to compare nuclear power to perfection. Try that with airplanes or cars. The are 32,000 early deaths and $280 billion in health costs every year from burning coal, per the EPA. I that acceptable?

3. Fire with Fire says:

Why does SAGE pretend that technology does not march on? Solar and wind power are not as efficient as nuclear power on the scale it is, yet they are proponents for research and investment. Why not nuclear power as well? Is it impossible to find safe disposal, etc for nuclear power?

4. tom says:

I won.