Turnovers lift Minutewomen over Boston University

A solid defensive display from the attackers on the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team led to a win over Boston University on Wednesday.

The Minutewomen (2-0) caused 15 turnovers in the 13-11 win against the Terriers, spoiling their opponent’s season opener. Specifically, BU (0-1) struggled to maintain possession as it transitioned from defense to offense.
Clearing the zone was a struggle for Terriers all game long. BU only cleared the zone successfully 5-of-12 times thanks to consistent pressure from UMass’ attackers.

In the first half alone, high pressure from the UMass attack led to four failed clears. As the Minutewomen began to assert themselves later on in the match, the pressure led to sloppy play from the Terriers.
Junior attacker Lauren Terracciano capitalized on BU’s troubles by converting on one of the Terriers’ several turnovers. UMass coach Angela McMahon was very pleased with her side’s ability to force the mistakes out of a strong group like BU.

“I think re-defending and putting the pressure on their defenders [was key],” said McMahon. “I think making their defenders transition the ball instead of their midfielders was key, and typically defenders don’t really want the ball as much, so that was a goal of ours.”

The pressure continued into the second half, as the Minutewomen bore down into the offensive zone.
Prior to the game, McMahon pointed out fouling numbers as an area that needed work, and her squad responded to keep those numbers down. UMass committed six fouls, compared to the Terriers’ nine.

The duress that was employed by UMass was born out of the style that it has been known to play in recent history. The team tries to be a quick offense that seeks opportunities and lanes then capitalizes on them right away. The tempo of Wednesday’s game favored that type of play and forced the Terriers into mistakes that cost them in the end.

“That’s just sort of our style,” said McMahon. “We have good speed, from our midfielders and our attackers. We had a lot of great opportunities pushing on the fast break.”

Ferris honored by UMass

Leading goal-scorer on the squad, sophomore Katie Ferris, was honored this week as UMass’s Athlete of the Week
The Carthage, N.Y., native led UMass to a win in its season opener against Holy Cross last week with 10 points.
Ferris was also key to the game plan for the Minutewomen on Wednesday as well, applying the pressure to Terriers goalkeeper, Christina Sheridan. However, she was quick to credit the award to her teammates on the field.
“I wouldn’t be able to do this without everyone else,” said Ferris. “A lot of it goes to my team. I wouldn’t have the ball and the opportunity to score if it wasn’t for them.”

Ferris scored the opening goal and put UMass in the lead for good later in the first half before adding two more tallies in the second-half. However, rather than reflect, the sophomore was looking forward to the work that still needed to be done.

“We have a lot to improve on and a lot of work to do before the next game,” said Ferris. “But I think it is going to come together nicely.”
Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Okerman.