UMass basketball outlasts Florida State 75-69 -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Minutemen ride strong bench play to 75-69 win over Florida state -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Minutemen search for signature road win

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team travels to Dayton on Saturday in search of its first solid road win in nearly two years.

It was March 9, 2010 the last time the Minutemen (19-8, 8-5 Atlantic 10) won a road game against a team inside of the RPI Top 100.

UMass defeated Charlotte that day in the first round of the A-10 tournament in Charlotte, N.C. The 49ers ended the season as the 77th ranked team in the nation, according to Real Time RPI.

Since that day, UMass does not have the closest thing to a signature win on the road.

This weekend’s game with Dayton could serve as one of the last chances for the Minutemen to improve their road resume. InsideRPI.com ranks Dayton as the 66th team in the nation as far as RPI is concerned.

The Flyers (17-10, 7-6 A-10) have struggled to find consistency this season, but sport an impressive 11-4 overall record at the UD Center, and a 4-2 home record in conference play.

UMass coach Derek Kellogg said that the UD Center may be one of the toughest venues to play at in the A-10.

“It might be the toughest because they’re a guaranteed 13,000 [people] pretty much every game,” said Kellogg.

Dayton has averaged an attendance of 12,426 per home game this season.

“It’s in a city, but there’s not any pro sports teams,” said Kellogg of Dayton. “It’s a little bit along the lines of how it was at Memphis and how it is at some of those other places that that’s the main attraction,” said Kellogg.

While the Minutemen have undoubtedly had their best season since Kellogg arrived, they still lack a signature road victory this year.

They have defeated Top 100 RPI teams like Saint Louis (21), Xavier (53), Saint Joseph’s (57) and Davidson (71) at the Mullins Center. However the Minutemen only have four road wins all season, all against teams outside of the RPI Top 100.

They crushed Boston College (RPI: 219) in Chestnut Hill, nipped East Carolina (RPI: 179) and George Washington (RPI: 183), but recorded their best road win of the season versus Richmond (125).

The opportunities to claim big wins on the road this season have been there, but UMass failed to rise to the occasion for any of those challenges.

Early in the season, it had a chance to make a statement versus an Atlantic Coast Conference team in Miami (RPI: 48), but fell 83-75. While their game against Florida State was played on a neutral site, it was another chance for the Minutemen to conquer another ACC opponent. UMass lost the game, 73-53.

The Minutemen traveled to La Salle (80), Duquesne (90) and Saint Joseph’s (57) in conference play and lost all three games. Overall, they are just 4-5 overall on the road, and 2-4 in conference play.

UMass faced some of the same troubles last year as it failed to defeat a team on the road with an RPI higher than 100.

The sub-par road play has left little room for error over these next three games, and it is difficult to envision UMass receiving an at-large bid if it doesn’t take its next two road games against Dayton and No. 22 Temple.
However, that task is easier said than done, as the Minutemen will enter an atmosphere they haven’t yet experienced when it arrives in Dayton.

“We’re going into a hostile environment,” said Kellogg. “A packed house on the road, that’s what college basketball is all about.”

Kellogg sees an opportunity for his team to defeat a solid Flyers team, a win that would greatly help their resume.

“It could help us tremendously. I’m hoping we can go there and play well, and at least keep the confidence up,” said Kellogg.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Alexander.