Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Irish coffee recipe -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

To fight ISIS, US must understand them, not chalk up actions to pure evil -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass tennis is reloading, not rebuilding in 2014 -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Fast food workers need more than $7.25 to sustain basic living -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

“Modern Family” ventures in to “Virgin Territory”

Warning: Spoilers!

Courtesy of ABC

We all keep secrets, especially from our families. On the latest “Modern Family” episode, “Virgin Territory,” everyone’s secrets were revealed.

First, my favorite plot of the week, Luke and Manny being “bad boys.” It’s always hilarious when these two are together, because Manny’s sensitivity plays so well off of Luke’s madness. Luke hates Lily and after getting Manny on board they plot to take her down. And by taking her down, I mean they set up a trap to make it look like she made a mess. When that doesn’t work out, they decided to take the car for a spin down the street passed Manny’s crush’s house. This scene is so funny. Seeing Manny gangster roll past a little girl’s lemonade stand was great. Doing it again in reverse was almost as funny. I want these two together more. They’re funny on their own, but hilarious together.

Jay and Mitchell have been at odds a lot lately. Last week Mitchell was mad at Jay, and this week Jay is mad at Mitchell. It’s back and forth. This fight is over a golf game where Jay thought he hit a hole in one 20 years ago, but a young Mitchell actually just kicked the ball in, because he was bored. This is supposed to end in another heartwarming moment between father and son, but it doesn’t quite work out that way. Overall, it was a sub-par plot for these two.

Another constant back and forth: Gloria and Claire. Gloria desperately wants to connect with Claire (again) and tries joining her for yoga. It seems like Claire is avoiding and lying to Gloria. It’s pretty typical of Claire, so I didn’t really see where this one was going. Turns out, to a shooting range. Claire’s secret is that she lets off steam by shooting things, and she didn’t want anyone to know. We see that Gloria is actually probably the best companion to take, since she already knows how to shoot.

Cam went solo this week on the search for a missing piece of Tupperware. After falling victim to Luke and Manny’s trap for Lily, he faked a back injury to get some time alone to scan the Dunphy home for an unreturned dish. He ended up with a real back injury by the end of it, but he found the Tupperware. This seemed like just a vehicle for other, plots but I wish they did more with it.

Finally, Phil discovers Haley isn’t a virgin anymore. It’s never really said, though, which was kind of weird. He is crushed at first, but surprisingly okay with it. Very surprisingly, the Phil Dunphy we know doesn’t go his typical route of overreacting. He crashed chaperoned college mixers, because he thinks ginger ale is alcohol. Either way, it was nice for Haley to admit she has a cool dad. Also, this whole thing happened in a doll hospital, which was really weird, especially when Alex started fussing with the doll that looked just like her.

Overall, pretty good episode with some good laughs. I’d like to see them switch up the pairings a bit. Excepting the Luke and Manny, of course.

Samantha Gillis can be reached for comment at stgillis@student.umass.edu.