UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

“Modern Family” ventures in to “Virgin Territory”

Warning: Spoilers!

Courtesy of ABC

We all keep secrets, especially from our families. On the latest “Modern Family” episode, “Virgin Territory,” everyone’s secrets were revealed.

First, my favorite plot of the week, Luke and Manny being “bad boys.” It’s always hilarious when these two are together, because Manny’s sensitivity plays so well off of Luke’s madness. Luke hates Lily and after getting Manny on board they plot to take her down. And by taking her down, I mean they set up a trap to make it look like she made a mess. When that doesn’t work out, they decided to take the car for a spin down the street passed Manny’s crush’s house. This scene is so funny. Seeing Manny gangster roll past a little girl’s lemonade stand was great. Doing it again in reverse was almost as funny. I want these two together more. They’re funny on their own, but hilarious together.

Jay and Mitchell have been at odds a lot lately. Last week Mitchell was mad at Jay, and this week Jay is mad at Mitchell. It’s back and forth. This fight is over a golf game where Jay thought he hit a hole in one 20 years ago, but a young Mitchell actually just kicked the ball in, because he was bored. This is supposed to end in another heartwarming moment between father and son, but it doesn’t quite work out that way. Overall, it was a sub-par plot for these two.

Another constant back and forth: Gloria and Claire. Gloria desperately wants to connect with Claire (again) and tries joining her for yoga. It seems like Claire is avoiding and lying to Gloria. It’s pretty typical of Claire, so I didn’t really see where this one was going. Turns out, to a shooting range. Claire’s secret is that she lets off steam by shooting things, and she didn’t want anyone to know. We see that Gloria is actually probably the best companion to take, since she already knows how to shoot.

Cam went solo this week on the search for a missing piece of Tupperware. After falling victim to Luke and Manny’s trap for Lily, he faked a back injury to get some time alone to scan the Dunphy home for an unreturned dish. He ended up with a real back injury by the end of it, but he found the Tupperware. This seemed like just a vehicle for other, plots but I wish they did more with it.

Finally, Phil discovers Haley isn’t a virgin anymore. It’s never really said, though, which was kind of weird. He is crushed at first, but surprisingly okay with it. Very surprisingly, the Phil Dunphy we know doesn’t go his typical route of overreacting. He crashed chaperoned college mixers, because he thinks ginger ale is alcohol. Either way, it was nice for Haley to admit she has a cool dad. Also, this whole thing happened in a doll hospital, which was really weird, especially when Alex started fussing with the doll that looked just like her.

Overall, pretty good episode with some good laughs. I’d like to see them switch up the pairings a bit. Excepting the Luke and Manny, of course.

Samantha Gillis can be reached for comment at stgillis@student.umass.edu.