SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

“Modern Family” ventures in to “Virgin Territory”

Warning: Spoilers!

Courtesy of ABC

We all keep secrets, especially from our families. On the latest “Modern Family” episode, “Virgin Territory,” everyone’s secrets were revealed.

First, my favorite plot of the week, Luke and Manny being “bad boys.” It’s always hilarious when these two are together, because Manny’s sensitivity plays so well off of Luke’s madness. Luke hates Lily and after getting Manny on board they plot to take her down. And by taking her down, I mean they set up a trap to make it look like she made a mess. When that doesn’t work out, they decided to take the car for a spin down the street passed Manny’s crush’s house. This scene is so funny. Seeing Manny gangster roll past a little girl’s lemonade stand was great. Doing it again in reverse was almost as funny. I want these two together more. They’re funny on their own, but hilarious together.

Jay and Mitchell have been at odds a lot lately. Last week Mitchell was mad at Jay, and this week Jay is mad at Mitchell. It’s back and forth. This fight is over a golf game where Jay thought he hit a hole in one 20 years ago, but a young Mitchell actually just kicked the ball in, because he was bored. This is supposed to end in another heartwarming moment between father and son, but it doesn’t quite work out that way. Overall, it was a sub-par plot for these two.

Another constant back and forth: Gloria and Claire. Gloria desperately wants to connect with Claire (again) and tries joining her for yoga. It seems like Claire is avoiding and lying to Gloria. It’s pretty typical of Claire, so I didn’t really see where this one was going. Turns out, to a shooting range. Claire’s secret is that she lets off steam by shooting things, and she didn’t want anyone to know. We see that Gloria is actually probably the best companion to take, since she already knows how to shoot.

Cam went solo this week on the search for a missing piece of Tupperware. After falling victim to Luke and Manny’s trap for Lily, he faked a back injury to get some time alone to scan the Dunphy home for an unreturned dish. He ended up with a real back injury by the end of it, but he found the Tupperware. This seemed like just a vehicle for other, plots but I wish they did more with it.

Finally, Phil discovers Haley isn’t a virgin anymore. It’s never really said, though, which was kind of weird. He is crushed at first, but surprisingly okay with it. Very surprisingly, the Phil Dunphy we know doesn’t go his typical route of overreacting. He crashed chaperoned college mixers, because he thinks ginger ale is alcohol. Either way, it was nice for Haley to admit she has a cool dad. Also, this whole thing happened in a doll hospital, which was really weird, especially when Alex started fussing with the doll that looked just like her.

Overall, pretty good episode with some good laughs. I’d like to see them switch up the pairings a bit. Excepting the Luke and Manny, of course.

Samantha Gillis can be reached for comment at stgillis@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.