UMass students show lackluster attitude toward ‘Mullins Live!’ concert -

UMass women’s basketball loses in first round of Atlantic 10 Tournament -

Ryan Adams perfects his melancholy, widescreen take on 80s heartland rock on ‘Prisoner’ -

Exposing the horrific crime of modern-day slavery -

UMass men’s basketball successfully drops La Salle 84-71 in confidence-building win -

UMass men’s lacrosse’s late rally falls short against Harvard -

UMass women’s lacrosse struggles to find offense in loss to No. 5 Syracuse -

With Perez, Democrats remain in limbo -

UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

CAA lacrosse roundup

Three consecutive fourth quarter goals by Mount Saint Mary’s gave the Mountaineers a 12-10 win over No. 16 Delaware on Saturday.

The Blue Hens (2-3) and the Mountaineers (1-0) went back and forth in a game that featured six ties and three lead changes.

The game got off to a fast start, as Delaware stormed out to take a 3-2 lead. A late score by Mt. Saint Mary’s tied the game at 3-3 to end the first frame.

The Mountaineers opened the second quarter by scoring again, but Delaware seniors Grant Kaleikau and Andrew Tanneberger kicked off the second quarter with consecutive goals for the Blue Hens as Delaware regained the lead. However, the Mountaineers responded with a goal of their own, to tie the score at five going into halftime.

Mt. Saint Mary’s opened up the second half with two quick goals to go up 7-5, but the All-American Kaleikau scored his second goal of the game and cut the lead in half heading into the final frame. In the final 15 minutes of action, the teams combined to score seven goals.

The Mountaineers continued to hold onto their slim advantage, but freshman Brian Kormandy scored with seven minutes and 41 seconds left and then assisted on Sean Finegan’s goal with 6:54 left to tie the game at nine. The Mountaineers then reeled off three straight goals and cruised to the 12-10 victory.

Towson falls again

No. 13 Loyola used an eight goal first half to defeat a floundering Towson squad, 13-6.

After opening the season up with a win, the Tigers (1-2) have dropped their last two games by a combined score of 25-12.

The Greyhounds (2-0) jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but Towson was able to answer with a goal prior to the end of the first quarter.

With a 2-1 lead heading into the second quarter, Loyola shot out of the gates and tallied four goals in the first six minutes of the quarter. They added two more goals over the remainder of the quarter, and by halftime, the Greyhounds held a commanding 8-2 lead.

The second half started out just as badly as the first half ended for Towson, as Loyola scored three consecutive times in a six-minute span to open up an 11-2 cushion.  The teams began trading goals, but Towson was never able to get any closer than six.        The Greyhounds were led by Mike Sawyer and Sean O’Sullivan who each tallied four goals for Loyola, while Towson’s Sean Maguire led the Tigers with two goals.

Hawks end losing streak

Last Saturday, Saint Joseph’s was able to snap a 14-game losing streak with a 12-4 win over the Virginia Military Institute.

VMI (0-4) scored an early goal in the first quarter to go up 1-0, but a three-goal run by the Hawks (1-2) led to a 4-2 first quarter lead, one that they would never relinquish.

The second quarter played out similarly to the first, as the Keydets netted another early goal. However, the Hawks quickly pushed the lead back to three goals, and then Ryan McGee scored his third goal of the game to give the SJU an 8-4 advantage at halftime.

The Hawks played tight defense in the second half and were able to hold the Keydets scoreless for the entire 30 minutes following the break. They also added a pair of third quarter goals and increased their lead to 10-4 heading into the fourth quarter.  SJU scored two more goals in the final quarter and held VMI off the scoreboard.

Kyle Williams and McGee each had three goals for the Hawks in the victory.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Strohecker