UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Mulligan looks to continue seven game double-double streak at Hofstra -

Jesus: the conservative Republican -

The joy of Snapchat -

CAA lacrosse roundup

Three consecutive fourth quarter goals by Mount Saint Mary’s gave the Mountaineers a 12-10 win over No. 16 Delaware on Saturday.

The Blue Hens (2-3) and the Mountaineers (1-0) went back and forth in a game that featured six ties and three lead changes.

The game got off to a fast start, as Delaware stormed out to take a 3-2 lead. A late score by Mt. Saint Mary’s tied the game at 3-3 to end the first frame.

The Mountaineers opened the second quarter by scoring again, but Delaware seniors Grant Kaleikau and Andrew Tanneberger kicked off the second quarter with consecutive goals for the Blue Hens as Delaware regained the lead. However, the Mountaineers responded with a goal of their own, to tie the score at five going into halftime.

Mt. Saint Mary’s opened up the second half with two quick goals to go up 7-5, but the All-American Kaleikau scored his second goal of the game and cut the lead in half heading into the final frame. In the final 15 minutes of action, the teams combined to score seven goals.

The Mountaineers continued to hold onto their slim advantage, but freshman Brian Kormandy scored with seven minutes and 41 seconds left and then assisted on Sean Finegan’s goal with 6:54 left to tie the game at nine. The Mountaineers then reeled off three straight goals and cruised to the 12-10 victory.

Towson falls again

No. 13 Loyola used an eight goal first half to defeat a floundering Towson squad, 13-6.

After opening the season up with a win, the Tigers (1-2) have dropped their last two games by a combined score of 25-12.

The Greyhounds (2-0) jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but Towson was able to answer with a goal prior to the end of the first quarter.

With a 2-1 lead heading into the second quarter, Loyola shot out of the gates and tallied four goals in the first six minutes of the quarter. They added two more goals over the remainder of the quarter, and by halftime, the Greyhounds held a commanding 8-2 lead.

The second half started out just as badly as the first half ended for Towson, as Loyola scored three consecutive times in a six-minute span to open up an 11-2 cushion.  The teams began trading goals, but Towson was never able to get any closer than six.        The Greyhounds were led by Mike Sawyer and Sean O’Sullivan who each tallied four goals for Loyola, while Towson’s Sean Maguire led the Tigers with two goals.

Hawks end losing streak

Last Saturday, Saint Joseph’s was able to snap a 14-game losing streak with a 12-4 win over the Virginia Military Institute.

VMI (0-4) scored an early goal in the first quarter to go up 1-0, but a three-goal run by the Hawks (1-2) led to a 4-2 first quarter lead, one that they would never relinquish.

The second quarter played out similarly to the first, as the Keydets netted another early goal. However, the Hawks quickly pushed the lead back to three goals, and then Ryan McGee scored his third goal of the game to give the SJU an 8-4 advantage at halftime.

The Hawks played tight defense in the second half and were able to hold the Keydets scoreless for the entire 30 minutes following the break. They also added a pair of third quarter goals and increased their lead to 10-4 heading into the fourth quarter.  SJU scored two more goals in the final quarter and held VMI off the scoreboard.

Kyle Williams and McGee each had three goals for the Hawks in the victory.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Strohecker