No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

CMASS holds ‘Half Empty or Half Full?: What is Sustainability?’ meeting -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass women’s basketball splits weekend series in Hospitality Hill Challenge -

Monday, November 24, 2014

CAA lacrosse roundup

Three consecutive fourth quarter goals by Mount Saint Mary’s gave the Mountaineers a 12-10 win over No. 16 Delaware on Saturday.

The Blue Hens (2-3) and the Mountaineers (1-0) went back and forth in a game that featured six ties and three lead changes.

The game got off to a fast start, as Delaware stormed out to take a 3-2 lead. A late score by Mt. Saint Mary’s tied the game at 3-3 to end the first frame.

The Mountaineers opened the second quarter by scoring again, but Delaware seniors Grant Kaleikau and Andrew Tanneberger kicked off the second quarter with consecutive goals for the Blue Hens as Delaware regained the lead. However, the Mountaineers responded with a goal of their own, to tie the score at five going into halftime.

Mt. Saint Mary’s opened up the second half with two quick goals to go up 7-5, but the All-American Kaleikau scored his second goal of the game and cut the lead in half heading into the final frame. In the final 15 minutes of action, the teams combined to score seven goals.

The Mountaineers continued to hold onto their slim advantage, but freshman Brian Kormandy scored with seven minutes and 41 seconds left and then assisted on Sean Finegan’s goal with 6:54 left to tie the game at nine. The Mountaineers then reeled off three straight goals and cruised to the 12-10 victory.

Towson falls again

No. 13 Loyola used an eight goal first half to defeat a floundering Towson squad, 13-6.

After opening the season up with a win, the Tigers (1-2) have dropped their last two games by a combined score of 25-12.

The Greyhounds (2-0) jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but Towson was able to answer with a goal prior to the end of the first quarter.

With a 2-1 lead heading into the second quarter, Loyola shot out of the gates and tallied four goals in the first six minutes of the quarter. They added two more goals over the remainder of the quarter, and by halftime, the Greyhounds held a commanding 8-2 lead.

The second half started out just as badly as the first half ended for Towson, as Loyola scored three consecutive times in a six-minute span to open up an 11-2 cushion.  The teams began trading goals, but Towson was never able to get any closer than six.        The Greyhounds were led by Mike Sawyer and Sean O’Sullivan who each tallied four goals for Loyola, while Towson’s Sean Maguire led the Tigers with two goals.

Hawks end losing streak

Last Saturday, Saint Joseph’s was able to snap a 14-game losing streak with a 12-4 win over the Virginia Military Institute.

VMI (0-4) scored an early goal in the first quarter to go up 1-0, but a three-goal run by the Hawks (1-2) led to a 4-2 first quarter lead, one that they would never relinquish.

The second quarter played out similarly to the first, as the Keydets netted another early goal. However, the Hawks quickly pushed the lead back to three goals, and then Ryan McGee scored his third goal of the game to give the SJU an 8-4 advantage at halftime.

The Hawks played tight defense in the second half and were able to hold the Keydets scoreless for the entire 30 minutes following the break. They also added a pair of third quarter goals and increased their lead to 10-4 heading into the fourth quarter.  SJU scored two more goals in the final quarter and held VMI off the scoreboard.

Kyle Williams and McGee each had three goals for the Hawks in the victory.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Strohecker