UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Hofstra on Senior Night, 11-6 -

Saturday, April 19, 2014

VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

CAA lacrosse roundup

Three consecutive fourth quarter goals by Mount Saint Mary’s gave the Mountaineers a 12-10 win over No. 16 Delaware on Saturday.

The Blue Hens (2-3) and the Mountaineers (1-0) went back and forth in a game that featured six ties and three lead changes.

The game got off to a fast start, as Delaware stormed out to take a 3-2 lead. A late score by Mt. Saint Mary’s tied the game at 3-3 to end the first frame.

The Mountaineers opened the second quarter by scoring again, but Delaware seniors Grant Kaleikau and Andrew Tanneberger kicked off the second quarter with consecutive goals for the Blue Hens as Delaware regained the lead. However, the Mountaineers responded with a goal of their own, to tie the score at five going into halftime.

Mt. Saint Mary’s opened up the second half with two quick goals to go up 7-5, but the All-American Kaleikau scored his second goal of the game and cut the lead in half heading into the final frame. In the final 15 minutes of action, the teams combined to score seven goals.

The Mountaineers continued to hold onto their slim advantage, but freshman Brian Kormandy scored with seven minutes and 41 seconds left and then assisted on Sean Finegan’s goal with 6:54 left to tie the game at nine. The Mountaineers then reeled off three straight goals and cruised to the 12-10 victory.

Towson falls again

No. 13 Loyola used an eight goal first half to defeat a floundering Towson squad, 13-6.

After opening the season up with a win, the Tigers (1-2) have dropped their last two games by a combined score of 25-12.

The Greyhounds (2-0) jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but Towson was able to answer with a goal prior to the end of the first quarter.

With a 2-1 lead heading into the second quarter, Loyola shot out of the gates and tallied four goals in the first six minutes of the quarter. They added two more goals over the remainder of the quarter, and by halftime, the Greyhounds held a commanding 8-2 lead.

The second half started out just as badly as the first half ended for Towson, as Loyola scored three consecutive times in a six-minute span to open up an 11-2 cushion.  The teams began trading goals, but Towson was never able to get any closer than six.        The Greyhounds were led by Mike Sawyer and Sean O’Sullivan who each tallied four goals for Loyola, while Towson’s Sean Maguire led the Tigers with two goals.

Hawks end losing streak

Last Saturday, Saint Joseph’s was able to snap a 14-game losing streak with a 12-4 win over the Virginia Military Institute.

VMI (0-4) scored an early goal in the first quarter to go up 1-0, but a three-goal run by the Hawks (1-2) led to a 4-2 first quarter lead, one that they would never relinquish.

The second quarter played out similarly to the first, as the Keydets netted another early goal. However, the Hawks quickly pushed the lead back to three goals, and then Ryan McGee scored his third goal of the game to give the SJU an 8-4 advantage at halftime.

The Hawks played tight defense in the second half and were able to hold the Keydets scoreless for the entire 30 minutes following the break. They also added a pair of third quarter goals and increased their lead to 10-4 heading into the fourth quarter.  SJU scored two more goals in the final quarter and held VMI off the scoreboard.

Kyle Williams and McGee each had three goals for the Hawks in the victory.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Strohecker