Minutewomen disrupting opponent clearing attempts

The Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team is truly putting the phrase “the best defense is a good offense” to work so far during its opening five-game home stand.

In the three victories over Holy Cross, Boston University and Marist, the UMass (3-0) attackers have disrupted more than half of its opponents’ clearing attempts to maintain pressure in the attacking zone. In total, only 20-of-41 of the opposition’s clear attempts has been successful.

“It’s been a big focus for us,” said UMass coach Angela McMahon. “It’s something that has become sort of an M.O. for us this season. [It’s been] our ride and our re-defending, just being aggressive on it so that’s going to be something we’re going to continue doing.”

The theme of pressure in the attacking zone will continue to be a focus in this afternoon’s contest against rival New Hampshire. In the Wildcats sole game this season, they successfully cleared only 6-of-13 attempts.

One of the keys to her team’s knack for disrupting clears, according to McMahon, has been its ability to force the defenders and the goalkeeper to play the ball.

“Just making it tough to get the ball out of their defensive zone, and keep getting turnovers … is going to give us more possessions, and more opportunities to score,” said McMahon.

More than 40 percent of the Minutewomen’s opponents’ turnovers have come from unsuccessfully clearing the ball from its defensive zone, allowing for more forward opportunities.

Extra possessions are also coming from the defensive side of the ball as well, but at a cost. Strong, aggressive play on offense translates on defense, and while a number of turnovers come out of UMass’ solid defense, the number of fouls also eclipses its opponents, 53-41. The excess in fouling has led to a number of dangerous shots, and McMahon is trying to rid the squad of those mistakes.

“We obviously want to clean that up a little because that is translating into eight-meter opportunities,” said McMahon. “[It’s translating into] to shots and goals from our opponents. I think it’s a situation where we need to rely more on our athleticism and playing good body position as opposed to going for the checks and fouling.”

While those free-position opportunities have yet to make a difference on the scoreboard, the Minutewomen are even with their opponents in both opportunities and conversions at 8-for-14. McMahon highlights that as a statistic which needs to change, as better teams will capitalize on it.

Reddy Returns

When UNH plays visitor at McGuirk Stadium this afternoon, it will mark former-Minutewoman and current Wildcats assistant coach Meghan Reddy’s first trip back to her old stomping grounds in an official capacity since her 2009 senior season.

Reddy holds a trio of draw control records for the Minutewomen, including single-game (12) and single-season (78), as well as career (124). The former four-year attacker also ranks third in career games played (71) for the UMass squad.

Her single-season and single-game record came in a breakout senior season in which she eclipsed the previous single-season record by 38 draw controls and her then teammate, Holly Drown, by 34. During that 2009 season, Reddy amassed 46 points (35 goals, 11 assists), a second consecutive Atlantic 10 title, an All A-10 second team selection and All A-10 tournament honors. She was also selected to the North-South All-Star Game.

Current senior attacker and main draw-taker Nina Sarcona is currently in the hunt for the aforementioned draw-control records. Following her 63 draw controls last season – the second greatest single-season total in program history – Sarcona has collected 20 draw controls through just three games and will have the opportunity to add to more against the Wildcats this afternoon. Sarcona has won 104 draw controls in her career, putting her well on pace to break Reddy’s record this season.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Okerman.