Value of student strength

Two to one. That was the outcome for the vote which removed us from the board room and put us back into the role of a powerless observer.

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

On Friday, Feb. 24, around 8 a.m., resident assistants, peer mentors, dorm residents and student activists all crowded outside of the Whitmore Administration Building. Waking up with doughnuts and coffee and, despite the light smattering of snow, we warmed up with posters declaring distaste for administrative autocracy.

I felt my spirits lift. We as a community pulled together for a showing, even at this hour. Finally, it felt like students at the University of Massachusetts had developed a solid voice and were speaking out with it once again.

By utilizing the “open door” policy of Massachusetts law, we were going to join Residential Life administrators Edward Hull and Tara Loomis, among others, in the room and along the halls to silently protest.

It was going to be a reminder that the fight against the changes to ResLife wasn’t over. We would carry on, working to fix the wrongs this administration has committed – or, at the very least, never allow them to happen again.

Someone at Whitmore called the police soon after our arrival. Deputy Chief of Police Patrick Archbald came up to the hallway, briefly looked us over and declared that as long as business could be conducted, we were fine – something we’d fully understood from the start. Perhaps, though, it was that light run-in with authority that took something out of us.

Carol Barr, the vice provost for undergraduate and continuing education – informed us that our interest in watching her work was “intimidating,” and requested that we leave the room. In return for our voluntary compliance we would be given five minutes to speak before the meeting commenced. Five minutes to repeat rhetoric they already knew by heart, at a meeting where the conclusion was predetermined.

A vote among the protesters was held over this proposal. I was surprised, as it seemed to me intimidation was in some ways the point. I and a few other outspoken members of the group argued to stay. Student input had already been repeatedly ignored. If an administrator was uncomfortable with students wanting to keep an eye on decisions being made for them, that was a sign something is wrong with the entire process.

Despite these strong arguments, the group voted two to one to fall back, leaving six student representatives in the room to hear what we knew what would be said. Too angered and bewildered to stay, I just walked away.

When did a silent, legal protest become too much for UMass students? When did we decide there didn’t need to be a line of acquiescence which we would refuse to cross over? The saying is “lose the battle, win the war.” However, there is a point when one needs to look up and realize there aren’t many battles left to fight in. The student role in decisions concerning students is underweighted at this University.

We cannot continue giving in to administrators; they should feel uncomfortable about their actions. A protest is an opportunity to make a strong, united showing against what’s happening, and by backing down we continued a failing practice of submission. Students need to ignore administrative pressure, especially something as paltry as a polite request to leave.

As I stepped outside, a student helping to clean up the food asked me how it went. Biting my tongue I gave a frank but polite explanation of my disappointment. Just as I finished my thought, a women walking into Whitmore asked if the food was for everyone. I nearly laughed when the student said no. They can take away our rights, they can take away our voice, but the coffee remains.

Joseph Needleman is a Collegian contributor. He can be reached at [email protected].