Emmanuel T. Bile Jr. sentenced Wednesday morning for involvement in 2012 gang rape -

Congressman Jim McGovern visits UMass for event hosted by UMass Democrats -

UMass baseball set to renew rivalry with Boston College -

Notebook: UMass football more comfortable this time around in spring practice -

‘Bloodborne’ is a perfectly twisted video game experience -

The overwhelmed and cynical public remains uninformed on politics -

SGA Senator hopes to educate students on Campus Pulse -

Outdoor season generates excitement for men’s, women’s track and field -

Brendan Hegarty continuing to contribute for UMass lacrosse -

Route 9 Diner closes as attorney general files discrimination complaint -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin performs in front of NFL scouts at Pro Day -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Sisters on the Runway successfully hosts benefit fashion show for Safe Passage -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

‘Hurry sickness’ is actually wasting our time -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Angela Davis condemns the prison industrial complex in campus talk -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

UMass softball’s home opener postponed due to unplayable field conditions -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Kickin’ Back Dance Crew looks to emerge as its own dance club -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Doing good while looking good: Fashion show raises domestic violence awareness -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Ryan Moloney pitching with confidence for UMass baseball -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Police Log: Friday, March 27 to Sunday, March 29, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The real importance of water for our health -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Social media group calls for Moore’s playing time

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Massachusetts hockey goaltender Kevin Moore has only played three minutes, 40 seconds on the ice in his four years with the Minutemen.

But there’s a chance that could change on Friday.

UMass will welcome No. 12 Merrimack to the Mullins Center on Friday night for the first of a home-and-home series. Friday’s game will be Senior Night for UMass, which has four players graduating, Moore included.

Traditionally, Senior Night is the last home game of the season where the seniors are honored in a pregame ceremony then allowed to play as a way to honor their contributions to the program.

In this case, however, there is a possibility that Moore might not play, considering the playoff implications that this weekend’s games carry.

The Minutemen (12-15-5, 8-13-4 Hockey East) are tied for eighth place in Hockey East heading into Friday’s game. Only the top eight teams in the 10-team league qualify for postseason play, and UMass needs every point in its last series of the season.

“We are right in the middle of a playoff push,” said Moore. “We need to do what’s best for the team at this point. I have never played in a big pressure situation at the collegiate level, so logically it would be smarter to put in a goalie who has played consistently throughout the season in big games.”

But one small outcropping of students disagrees with Moore’s team-first mentality.

“The Bench Crew,” a Twitter group of UMass students, supports allowing Moore to play on his Senior Night, regardless of the playoff implications. The group displayed signs at last weekend’s games against New Hampshire that read “Put In Moore,” and included reference to their Twitter movement, “#freemoore.”

The Twitter group has worked hard to promote the movement in an effort to catch the eye of UMass’s coaching staff with the hopes that Moore will see at least some time in his final home game. It has even tweeted pro players like Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, the Boston Bruins and the New England Sports Network.

Former UMass goalie Paul Dainton also put in a good word for his former teammate.
“I have heard of the movement, and I’m all for it,” said Dainton. “Kevin has given countless hours to this program, and nothing would make me happier than to see him get in there for Senior Night.”

Moore has been with the Minutemen since the spring of 2009. He has one official save, the first and only one of his collegiate career, and enjoys a 1.000 save percentage because of it.

He said that he is grateful for the support from UMass fans, but ultimately he understands if he doesn’t get the opportunity to play against the Warriors.

“I love seeing the support and it would mean a lot to me to be able to play here on senior night, but I would rather see us earn a spot in the playoffs,” he said.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.