The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

Lack of offense plagues UMass baseball in game two of doubleheader with Fordham -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Davidson 12-5 on Senior Day -

Two arrested after report of aggravated robbery in Washington Hall last night -

Former UMass wide receiver Tajae Sharpe selected in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft -

Social media group calls for Moore’s playing time

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Massachusetts hockey goaltender Kevin Moore has only played three minutes, 40 seconds on the ice in his four years with the Minutemen.

But there’s a chance that could change on Friday.

UMass will welcome No. 12 Merrimack to the Mullins Center on Friday night for the first of a home-and-home series. Friday’s game will be Senior Night for UMass, which has four players graduating, Moore included.

Traditionally, Senior Night is the last home game of the season where the seniors are honored in a pregame ceremony then allowed to play as a way to honor their contributions to the program.

In this case, however, there is a possibility that Moore might not play, considering the playoff implications that this weekend’s games carry.

The Minutemen (12-15-5, 8-13-4 Hockey East) are tied for eighth place in Hockey East heading into Friday’s game. Only the top eight teams in the 10-team league qualify for postseason play, and UMass needs every point in its last series of the season.

“We are right in the middle of a playoff push,” said Moore. “We need to do what’s best for the team at this point. I have never played in a big pressure situation at the collegiate level, so logically it would be smarter to put in a goalie who has played consistently throughout the season in big games.”

But one small outcropping of students disagrees with Moore’s team-first mentality.

“The Bench Crew,” a Twitter group of UMass students, supports allowing Moore to play on his Senior Night, regardless of the playoff implications. The group displayed signs at last weekend’s games against New Hampshire that read “Put In Moore,” and included reference to their Twitter movement, “#freemoore.”

The Twitter group has worked hard to promote the movement in an effort to catch the eye of UMass’s coaching staff with the hopes that Moore will see at least some time in his final home game. It has even tweeted pro players like Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, the Boston Bruins and the New England Sports Network.

Former UMass goalie Paul Dainton also put in a good word for his former teammate.
“I have heard of the movement, and I’m all for it,” said Dainton. “Kevin has given countless hours to this program, and nothing would make me happier than to see him get in there for Senior Night.”

Moore has been with the Minutemen since the spring of 2009. He has one official save, the first and only one of his collegiate career, and enjoys a 1.000 save percentage because of it.

He said that he is grateful for the support from UMass fans, but ultimately he understands if he doesn’t get the opportunity to play against the Warriors.

“I love seeing the support and it would mean a lot to me to be able to play here on senior night, but I would rather see us earn a spot in the playoffs,” he said.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.