Minutemen search for answers following blowout loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

UMass dominated in 85-65 loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass cruises past UNH amid wintry conditions, remains undefeated

The Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team battled through frozen precipitation for the second consecutive game on Wednesday afternoon, but it wasn’t enough to stop the Minutewomen’s undefeated start to the season.

UMass (4-0) easily handled New Hampshire despite the snow, 17-5, on a slippery surface at McGuirk Stadium that made the game much sloppier than either team would have liked.

“Obviously we had to face some pretty adverse conditions today,” said UMass coach Angela McMahon. “We did a pretty good job of stepping up and not letting the weather deter our game plan. I was impressed with how well we were able to minimize our turnovers considering [the weather].”

The Minutewomen took care of the ball relatively well despite the conditions. Turnovers were even throughout the game, with UMass forcing the Wildcats (0-2) into 22 turnovers while turning it over 21 times itself.
Katie Ferris starred in the rivalry matchup after having a quiet game against Marist, in which she didn’t record any points. The sophomore attacker led the team with 10 points, spread evenly with five goals, and five assists.

“She played fantastic today,” said McMahon. “I know she’s always going to get her shots, and a couple goals, but her having five assists is a credit to her continuing to improve as a player, and being sort of a field general for us, seeing the whole field and finding her teammates. So I’m really proud of the five assists she had today.”

Including Ferris, 12 players recorded a point in the rout, with the Minutewomen totaling 29 points between goals and assists. The number of assisted goals was pleasing to McMahon.

“Definitely [it is impressive],” said McMahon. “I think the weather factored into that a little, in allowing us to cut, and beat our defenders. I’m definitely proud of the girls for keeping their heads up and being able to find the open player.”

After Ferris, the Minutewomen’s next best point-getter, Nina Sarcona, recorded a hat trick and a helper for four points. Both Lauren Terracciano (two goals, one assist), and Jesse O’Donnell (one goal, two assists) collected three points.

The draw-control duties were shared during the match, but that didn’t deter UMass continuing to come out on top in the category. Sarcona continued her push for the career draw-control record, currently held by UNH assistant coach Meghan Reddy (124), controlling four times. Ali Houlis also won four draws for the Minutewomen.

Along with winning draws, Houlis was all over the snow-covered field, collecting a total of nine ground balls. The nine was one fewer than the rest of the UMass squad picked up as a whole.

“[The nine ground-balls is] a little bit of both the weather, and practice,” said McMahon. “She has great anticipation, and plays the ball, and knows when to go for those, and timing. I think she did a really good job of acclimating herself to the footing, and the weather, and being ready for the ball to drop.”

As has been the case all season, fouls did not go the Minutewomen’s way, but McMahon, unlike in recent games, wasn’t overly concerned with the statistic.

“Today it was just a wash,” said McMahon. “I mean with the weather, it was just getting your footing. Obviously we should have adjusted a little better once the game gets going, and slow our feet down a little bit, as opposed to running at their girls.”

“[Overall] I thought we really dictated the tempo of the game, and I’m really proud of our girls for that,” McMahon added.

Up next for the Minutewomen is Sacred Heart for the final game of their five-game season-opening home-stand. Following the two recent snowy affairs, the matchup with the Pioneers (0-1) is predicted to have much more comfortable conditions.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at jokerman@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Okerman.