UMass Fashion: vintage winter style with James Barry

Courtesy of Nia Decaille

“I dress according to my mood,” said James Barry after interviewing him about the noticeably cool sweater he was wearing.

The vibrant slouchy sweater was a unique pick from Goodwill and among many of the ones Barry, a Junior special education major, owned. The mixture of neutral and pastel colors woven together seemed somewhat tribal, but also reminiscent of some 80s vision revamped. Considering that the weather was 40 degrees and partly sunny, his ensemble was a concoction of funky vintage and comfortably warm. It was a great start to get in the spirit of spring fashion even though short sleeves would be unfavorable with the prospect lower temperatures.

When asked about his inspiration for today, he hinted toward a certain lady friend he would be cooking for, which was an added sentiment to display his best threads. Other than this particular day, James prides himself on his extensive vintage sweater collection. Any obsession with sweaters in Western Massachusetts seems rational and a good choice with the colder weather. Dressing for the wind is a necessity, when faced with the wind between Dubois Library and South College that will snatch a scarf from any fashionable neck, induce temporary blindness and push you around like a playground bully.

Referencing favorite hot spots like the local Salvation Army and Goodwill, he expressed his love for old vintage and Bill Cosby-esque sweaters. Barry paired the centerpiece sweater with black skinny jeans, lime green sunglasses from Spencers and sneakers resembling Vans. These pieces all made way for the eye to be drawn to the sweater, which was nonchalant on his behalf, but smart to any one who may attention to detail.

From James Barry, you can see that gently used clothing is far from having second hand fashion sense and even the simplest pieces can stand out by dressing simply instead wearing other pieces that may distract from a great sweater or cute accessory.

Nia Decaille can be reached for comment at [email protected].