Political discourse heats up at Amherst College -

Author Thomas Suarez leads talk on Israel-Palestine conflict -

Q&A with DKMS ambassador -

SPIRE changes to include more gender and sexual orientation options -

Massachusetts men’s soccer looks for first road win of the season -

Top 25 notebook: Mason Rudolph and No. 6 Oklahoma State roll past Pittsburgh -

Streaking UMass men’s soccer stares down final non-conference team -

Let’s embrace innovation -

First response is important, but a long-term response is too -

Traveling through a changing life -

Community and local goods mix at student farmer’s market -

Fifth annual Poetry Festival reading -

Peacemaker Najeeba Syeed discusses interfaith cooperation in a time of Islamaphobia -

UMass hosts lecture on the meaning of the word ‘genocide’ -

Thirty-three arrested, 18 hospitalized during first weekend of semester -

UMass women’s soccer stuns Yale on Marra’s late winner -

UMass men’s soccer slips past Colgate 1-0 -

UMass field hockey wins weekend set over Davidson, UML -

Strong second half leads Massachusetts men’s soccer over Colgate -

Being promiscuous helps me cope and there’s nothing wrong with that -

Theo Epstein, the most overrated GM of all time

Courtesy of gowherehiphop.com

Opening Day 2012 is steadily approaching, but for the Boston Red Sox, there are a few major changes following their historic September collapse from 2011.

Two-time World Series winning manager Terry Francona was not brought back for a ninth season, and note that Theo Epstein is no longer the General Manager. He was essentially “traded” to the Chicago Cubs to become their President of Baseball Operations, while the Red Sox stayed in-house finding their replacement in Epstein’s former right-hand man, Ben Cherington.

I have no reservations in saying that Theo Epstein is the most overrated GM of all-time, having coasted his entire career off of a reputation that he built in 2003 and 2004. He was the head honcho during the Red Sox magical World Series run in ’04, and he made some brilliant moves along the way. Most notably, he axed fan favorite Nomar Garciaparra and sent him to the Cubs in a four-team trade that landed them Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz, both of whom proved instrumental in ending their 86-year title drought. He also acquired the likes of Kevin Millar, David Ortiz, Bill Mueller and Curt Schilling all within that 2-year window. It’s possible to surmise that without each and every one of those players, the Curse of the Bambino may still live on in all its infamy to this day.

Since that ‘04 title run, Epstein has been looked at as a man among boys to Sox fans. He was a key cog in helping finally garner that elusive championship. However, he has not kept to that standard. In fact, he’s made some of the worst moves of any GM over the last seven years. Don’t believe me? Here’s a few guys he’s picked up and what it cost to get them: John Lackey ($82.5 mill), Carl Crawford ($142 mill), Mike Cameron ($15.5 mill), John Smoltz ($5.5 mill), JD Drew ($70 mill), Edgar Renteria ($40 mill), Daisuke Matsuzaka ($103 mill, including bid price), Matt Clement ($25 mill), Julio Lugo ($36 mill) and Bobby Jenks ($12 mill). That doesn’t even include the players he acquired via trade that did nothing for his team: Wily Mo Pena (cost: Bronson Arroyo), Eric Gagne (David Murphy) and Ramon Ramirez (Coco Crisp).

Every single GM makes numerous regrettable and stupid decisions. Only Theo has made these monumental mistakes that cost his team millions, along with quality minor leaguers. It was baffling to watch the Cubs pursue him as if he is going to be their savior, and it’s all because of those two years, which did eventually culminate in two world championships. The fact of the matter is, Epstein had a few good years at an extraordinarily young age, and since then, he’s been looked at as something he is not.  He had to do something right to earn that reputation, I’ll concede to that, but he had to maintain that brilliance to keep that reputation. Now maybe Theo will make me eat my words, and he’ll turn around the lowly Cubs into a perennial title contender, but I doubt it.

Tyler Galicia can be reached for comment at tgalicia@student.umass.edu.

6 Responses to “Theo Epstein, the most overrated GM of all time”
  1. Brett says:

I’m all for different takes, but you could have at least mentioned the championship in 2007.

2. Bob says:

Perhaps you’re right, but as a Cub fan all I see is a Red Sox team that perennially wins 90 games and is in contention….which is more than I’ve had in my 51 years. As Theo said in his introductory Chicago press conference, all you can really do is get to the dance, and then anything can happen.

3. Crazyhorse says:

Year one in a cubs rebuild 101 games lost.

4. What about now…..

5. CubbieFan says:

How about now?????

LOL

6. LOL says:

How do they taste?