Pop culture abuzz with Halo 4 release on the way

Commorancy/Flickr
Commorancy/Flickr

With the imminent release of “Halo 4,” the video game culture is abuzz. This new installment will be headed by 343 Industries, which recently oversaw the development of “Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary.” The “Anniversary” edition celebrated the release of the original installment with updated graphics and Xbox Live multiplayer capability.

The developer formerly in charge of the “Halo” franchise, Bungie, was responsible for the first, second and third installments of the main story series. Other non-cardinal offshoots of the “Halo” franchise include “Halo 3: ODST,” and “Halo: Reach,” both of which were also developed by Bungie.

In the latest trailer, released on March 3, 343 Industries offers a brief look at the direction in which they are planning on taking Halo 4, as well as some of the new features.

Two multiplayer maps discussed were “Wraparound” and “Warhouse,” which is supposed to resemble “an abandoned military base.” The new multiplayer mode features a Spartan IV, which is apparently “the newest breed of Spartan.” This new character design appears to have similarly humanoid features to the original Master Chief, though it sports a smaller visor.

The new trailer still leaves the plot fairly ambiguous, revealing only the presence of “a threat that is beyond anything Master Chief has faced before.”

In the trailer, 343 Industries developers enigmatically mention that they are focusing on the more human side of Master Chief, which has been explored in books and other media.