UMass students came together to Stand Against Racism -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass baseball gets swept in four-game road trip to Florida Gulf Coast -

Monday, April 27, 2015

of Montreal and Toro y Moi to co-headline Pearl Street this weekend -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass administrators exploit and disrespect graduate students -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Bike Racing Club brings energy and excitement to bike racing -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Sonic Youth’s ‘Bad Moon Rising’ still stands as crucial career turning point -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises past GW on Senior Day -

Monday, April 27, 2015

How to stay sane during the long summer -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass softball drops pair of games against first-place Dayton -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Take Back the Night event raises awareness about sexual violence -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years of the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Second annual yogathon stresses Earth Day ideals to individuals -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass hosts Duquesne in A-10 tournament 1st round

With the regular season now in its rearview mirror, it’s now or never for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team if it wants to earn a bid into the NCAA tournament.

UMass (20-10, 9-7 Atlantic 10) will play host to No. 9 seed Duquesne tonight at the Mullins Center in the first round of the A-10 tournament. After losing four of their last six games to end the regular season, the No. 8 seed Minutemen will likely need to make a deep run in the tournament to receive consideration for the Big Dance, but coach Derek Kellogg is confident about their chances.

“My team seems to be in a good frame of mind,” he said. “They seem to have enough energy to continue playing and we have a team that I think feels like they can win. Those are the recipes that you need to have to give yourself a chance to win.”

On Jan. 18, the Dukes (16-14, 7-9 A-10) got the better of UMass, 80-69, in their only matchup of the season. That game was played at the A.J. Palumbo Center in Pittsburgh, however, the playoff matchup will be played in Amherst, where the Minutemen are 14-1 this season.

In the early season contest, UMass committed a season-high 29 turnovers, which Duquesne converted into 32 points. While the Minutemen have cut down on their turnovers since then, Kellogg stressed it as one of the major factors in tonight’s matchup.

“You can’t have possessions that come up as empty possessions,” said Kellogg. “We have to get a shot at the basket each time and we have to go to the free throw line. It’s one where we can’t change how we play this late in the season, we’ve got to run and get up and down the floor.”

A key factor in the game will be the ability of guards Chaz Williams and Jesse Morgan to secure the basketball. Williams turned it over seven times in the Jan. 18 loss, while Morgan coughed it up eight times.

“Fifteen turnovers with your primary ball handlers is probably not conducive to a successful contest,” said Kellogg.

While Williams and Morgan have had their share of struggles holding onto the ball at times this season, they both are playing their best basketball entering tonight’s game.

Williams is averaging 22.3 points, 8.0 assists per game in his last four contests, including an impressive stat line of 19 points, nine assists, six rebounds and five steals in Saturday’s win against Rhode Island, despite shooting 5-for-17 from the field.

On Monday, he was also named First Team All-Conference after his impressive season in which he won the league assist title.

Morgan, following a difficult shooting slump, came back strong on Saturday. He was a perfect 9-for-9 from the field and connected on all six of his 3-point attempts to earn a game-high 25 points.

The duo’s continued success will be an important key to victory tonight, especially against a Dukes team that features four guards in their starting lineup, which gave the Minutemen fits in the regular season matchup.

“I would say that’s one thing that concerns me,” said Kellogg. “They have four primary ball handlers and it’s tougher to press and really get those teams to turn it over the way I’d like to when they have four guys that can dribble, pass and shoot.”

B.J. Monteiro will be the Duke to watch for. He scored 23 points in the Duquesne’s victory over UMass and his 15.0 points per game leads the team.

Behind him, Sean Johnson notched a double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds against the Minutemen and T.J. McConnell added 15 points.

UMass will also have to be weary of Eric Evans. Foul trouble limited his role against the Minutemen, but his 9.2 points per game this season rounds out a balanced Duquesne offense that ranks fourth in the A-10 in scoring at 72.3 points per game.

“It should be an entertaining game,” said Kellogg. “One that I think the team that executes or can make shots or put balls back in the basket will be the team that will come away with the win.”

Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at the Mullins Center. If UMass wins, it will advance to Atlantic City, N.J. for a quarterfinal rematch with No. 1 seed Temple on Friday.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Hewitt.