UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Spring broke? Make the most of your vacation closer to home

Spring break evokes a happy image for many people with thoughts of tan lines, tropical drinks and yellow polka dot bikinis. Our imaginations can easily get carried away as we envision spending a week in Palm Beach or Cabo – until reality hits. We begin to realize that to arrive at those dreamy destinations, we must first find the money to buy our way there. With student loans piling up, expensive books to buy and not-so-cheap weekends to look forward to, we watch that idyllic picture of spring break disappear. The next question is what to do with the free time.

Universities grant us this one week to forget about the papers, the tests and the dreaded 8 a.m. classes to take a much needed break. We may not have the money to travel to paradise, but there certainly are other options to choose from depending on how much you want to get out of your spring break.

Here are a few ideas on how to enjoy your time off without burning a hole in your pocket.

The Couch Potato’s Spring Break

It’s ok to be that person who would rather spend their vacation not doing anything. After spending all semester working your butt off watching Sut Jhally’s online lectures, chasing the PVTA and doing squats to fit into your favorite jeans, it’s time to kick back on the couch, freeload off your family and eat inordinate amounts of food. You deserve it. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Now turn on the TV and watch so many re-runs of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” that you convince your mom to make a rum ham for family dinner.

The Cash Lover’s Spring Break

Unfortunately you didn’t get your funds in order this semester. After mourning your friends’ departures for awesome destinations, you won’t be making the same mistake next year. Call that old boss and beg for hours, babysit every kid in the neighborhood and convince your parents to reinstate an allowance. You’ve got money on your mind and you won’t stop until you have enough to book a hotel for the following spring break. The early bird catches the, um, prime beach location.

The Smart Traveler’s Spring Break

Getting sick of your college friends? It might be time to buy a bus ticket and visit your friends from home that live away from home. Luckily for you, not every school has spring break at the same time. Now is your chance to save the money you would’ve spent on hotels and crash on your friend’s floor while mooching off their meal plan. Likely their parties won’t compare to those at UMass, but hey, what would you be doing otherwise?

The Local Tourist’s Spring Break

College students are constantly trying to get away to tropical locations over break, but they rarely take advantage of what they have in their own backyards. Many University of Massachusetts students are from the state, which is the home of some of the best sports teams and the most famous historical landmarks. Find cheap tickets to a Celtics or Bruins game and make a night out of it. Take the train into Boston, grab a slice at Pizzeria Regina and walk the Freedom Trail. There’s no reason you can’t enjoy what your hometown has to offer. And if pizza just doesn’t cut it, head to a Mexican restaurant for some margaritas and south-of-the-border cuisine to at least mimic the real deal.

The Philanthropist’s Spring Break

For all the do-gooders out there, make your spring break about someone other than yourself. Giving back to the community is one of the most self-fulfilling experiences one can engage in. It can be as simple as volunteering at a local shelter or soup kitchen, or you can take it to the next level and sign up for a service trip. This year the Hillel House is running an alternative spring break trip to New Orleans, but there are many more options out there. Although it is too late to sign up for this upcoming spring break, stick to local philanthropy this year and sign up ahead of time for next year.

Though these ideas may not sound as appealing as listening to the waves crash on the shore or body surfing in the Caribbean, do the best with what you’ve got and embrace your time off because it will be finals week before we know it.

Danny Donovan can be reached at ddonovan@student.umass.edu.Maddie Grant can be reached at mmgrant@student.umass.edu.