Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Authentic Irish Cocktails

Editor’s note: This is part of the Daily Collegian’s St. Patrick’s Day special issue.

If you want to ensure your Irish pride is displayed properly as you celebrate this festival of holidays, be sure to enjoy some drinks mixed with traditional Irish liqueur. By mixing Jameson, Guinness and Bailey’s – just to name a couple – you will guarantee yourself a good time and perhaps a little luck of the Irish.

MCT

MCT

Black Bush The Stinging Nettle

For a refreshingly strong concoction, mix an ounce of Bushmill’s Black Bush Irish Whiskey with one-half ounce of crème de menthe and a piece of peppermint candy. Shake well and serve cold. Recipe courtesy of thebar.com.

Rokk Saw

If you’re not looking to dilute the flavors of alcohol with any mixers, then this frothy mix is for you. Shake together an ounce of Rokk Orange Flavored Vodka, an ounce of Bailey’s Original Irish Cream and one-half ounce of crème de menthe. This drink comes out thick, foaming and strong. Recipe courtesy of thebar.com.

Dublin Irish Cocktail

If you want to pretend you truly love drinking whiskey like a true Irish lad or lass, try this drink. Since it contains juice, the sweetness of that ingredient helps to minimize the hard edge most good whiskey drinks come with. Shake together two ounces of Michael Collins Irish whiskey, an ounce of sour apple schnapps and two ounces of white cranberry juice for a drink that’s Irish at heart and green in color. Recipe courtesy of Lance Mayhew on about.com.

Irish Tea Party

If you want a drink that is sure to go down hard and give you an even harder hangover, be sure to test this one out. Mix together Jameson Irish Whiskey, Absinthe and sweetened green tea. Invite your friends for the best kind of tea party you can think of! Recipe courtesy of Jameson Irish Whiskey on about.com.

Blarney Stone

Naturally, you need a little luck to endure a long, hard day of drinking. Shake together two ounces of Irish Whiskey, some curacao and some bitters for a kiss of Irish luck. Recipe courtesy of themed-party-ideas.com.

Irish Coffee

When you need help waking up, or if you’re Irish, getting off the floor, most people grab a cup of piping hot coffee. But when a simple cup of Joe won’t do, just add a little kick to it and soon you’ll be having one of the most alert mornings or evenings of your life. In a cup of coffee, add 1.5 ounces of Irish Whiskey. Top with whipped cream to help sweeten in lieu of added sugar. Depending on your taste, add in or substitute Bailey’s or Guinness to make an extra delicious drink. Recipe courtesy of themed-party-ideas.com.

Frisky Whiskey Cocktail

If you’re feeling frisky or trying to get lucky this holiday, this concoction is intended to help out your game – keep in mind, drinks can only do so much, though (Irish wink*). Shake together an ounce of Barenjager Honey Liqueur, an ounce of orange juice and a quarter of an ounce of simple syrup, then top with a bit of Angostura bitters to help hit on others. Recipe courtesy of Lance Mayhew on about.com.

Celtic Twilight

Going out and about on St. Patrick’s Day evening? Try this nightcap. Mix together equal parts of Bushmills Irish Whiskey, Bailey’s Irish Cream and an ounce of Frangelico hazelnut liqueur for a pleasant nighttime treat. Recipe courtesy of drinksmixer.com.

Chilly Irishman

The name of this mixture is misleading, as this frozen concoction will leave you feeling anything but cold as warm liquor drips down your esophagus. In a blender, mix four cups of crushed ice with three ounces of cold espresso, an ounce of Irish whiskey, one-half an ounce of coffee liqueur, one-half ounce of Irish cream, a scoop of ice cream and a bit of simple syrup. Blend until smooth and enjoy this frosty, frothy beverage. Recipe courtesy of drinksmixer.com.

Irish Black Russian

For a spin on the typical White Russian, add a little dark beer for extra flavor. Mix a shot of Smirnoff vodka, a shot of Kahlua coffee liqueur, some Coca-Cola and shake furiously. Fill the remainder of the glass with Guinness. Recipe courtesy of drinksmixer.com.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.