Active Minds strives to start conversation about mental health, end stigma -

Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

UMass softball anxiously awaits start of conference play with doubleheader against BU looming Thursday. -

UMass baseball gets its long-awaited homecoming Tuesday against Northeastern -

Have you popped your bubble? -

The atrophy of activism: a message for student protesters -

Emmi Beuger’s day off – Interview with Kate Leddy -

Josh Odam spreads succinct messages through Free Negro University clothing line -

Fourteen random ‘treat yourself’ items for $25 and under -

Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Fresh options are at the Amherst Winter Market

Courtesy of Samantha Gillis

I love food. Who doesn’t? Because I like to cook, I like fresh food for my experiments. Unfortunately, the winter months don’t exactly scream fresh produce, and I’m usually left a bit underwhelmed by my choices at the supermarket. However, I recently discovered a second option in Amherst within walking distance of UMass.

Yes, food lovers looking for something new to do on a Saturday need to look no farther than the very close Chestnut Street, where the Amherst Winter Market is held at the Amherst Regional Middle School. Every Saturday from 10 AM to two PM, you can find a variety of locally grow and made goods. There are farmer’s market staples, such as meats, fruits and veggies, but there are also cheeses, tempeh, baked goods, spices and much more. A vendor from Balky Farm in Northfield said that a lot of people who come to the market say “oh, I didn’t think I’d find that here.” The Balky Farm booth sells cozy wool blankets and mats.

The market, in its second year, sees new people ever week. This year, to encourage new shoppers, the market is running a “Bring A Friend” campaign. Bring a new friend to the market and sign up for the email list, and you’ll be entered in a raffle.

Market manager Miriam Aylward says the market is a great place for the people of Amherst to connect with their farmers, ask questions and play a role in the food that they’re eating.

Vendors call the market a “cool little place” with a “great atmosphere.”

However, with this week’s weather as proof, the winter almost over and the market is only running until the end of the month. The last day is March 31.

Admission is free.

Sam Gillis can be reached for comment at stgillis@student.umass.edu.