UMass women’s soccer earns double overtime draw against Central Connecticut -

Friday, September 4, 2015

Offensive struggles continue for UMass men’s soccer team in loss to Columbia -

Friday, September 4, 2015

UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Fresh options are at the Amherst Winter Market

Courtesy of Samantha Gillis

I love food. Who doesn’t? Because I like to cook, I like fresh food for my experiments. Unfortunately, the winter months don’t exactly scream fresh produce, and I’m usually left a bit underwhelmed by my choices at the supermarket. However, I recently discovered a second option in Amherst within walking distance of UMass.

Yes, food lovers looking for something new to do on a Saturday need to look no farther than the very close Chestnut Street, where the Amherst Winter Market is held at the Amherst Regional Middle School. Every Saturday from 10 AM to two PM, you can find a variety of locally grow and made goods. There are farmer’s market staples, such as meats, fruits and veggies, but there are also cheeses, tempeh, baked goods, spices and much more. A vendor from Balky Farm in Northfield said that a lot of people who come to the market say “oh, I didn’t think I’d find that here.” The Balky Farm booth sells cozy wool blankets and mats.

The market, in its second year, sees new people ever week. This year, to encourage new shoppers, the market is running a “Bring A Friend” campaign. Bring a new friend to the market and sign up for the email list, and you’ll be entered in a raffle.

Market manager Miriam Aylward says the market is a great place for the people of Amherst to connect with their farmers, ask questions and play a role in the food that they’re eating.

Vendors call the market a “cool little place” with a “great atmosphere.”

However, with this week’s weather as proof, the winter almost over and the market is only running until the end of the month. The last day is March 31.

Admission is free.

Sam Gillis can be reached for comment at stgillis@student.umass.edu.