Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Fresh options are at the Amherst Winter Market

Courtesy of Samantha Gillis

I love food. Who doesn’t? Because I like to cook, I like fresh food for my experiments. Unfortunately, the winter months don’t exactly scream fresh produce, and I’m usually left a bit underwhelmed by my choices at the supermarket. However, I recently discovered a second option in Amherst within walking distance of UMass.

Yes, food lovers looking for something new to do on a Saturday need to look no farther than the very close Chestnut Street, where the Amherst Winter Market is held at the Amherst Regional Middle School. Every Saturday from 10 AM to two PM, you can find a variety of locally grow and made goods. There are farmer’s market staples, such as meats, fruits and veggies, but there are also cheeses, tempeh, baked goods, spices and much more. A vendor from Balky Farm in Northfield said that a lot of people who come to the market say “oh, I didn’t think I’d find that here.” The Balky Farm booth sells cozy wool blankets and mats.

The market, in its second year, sees new people ever week. This year, to encourage new shoppers, the market is running a “Bring A Friend” campaign. Bring a new friend to the market and sign up for the email list, and you’ll be entered in a raffle.

Market manager Miriam Aylward says the market is a great place for the people of Amherst to connect with their farmers, ask questions and play a role in the food that they’re eating.

Vendors call the market a “cool little place” with a “great atmosphere.”

However, with this week’s weather as proof, the winter almost over and the market is only running until the end of the month. The last day is March 31.

Admission is free.

Sam Gillis can be reached for comment at stgillis@student.umass.edu.