UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass basketball enters NIT Final Four after beating Drexel

Trailing by 17 at Drexel with 16 minutes, 29 seconds, it appeared all the magic had run out for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team this season. And had the season ended on Tuesday night, it would’ve left the program with a reason to keep its head up and be excited for the bright future awaiting the Minutemen.

However, it turns out UMass was merely saving its biggest comeback of the season for its biggest moment.

The Minutemen mounted an improbable run; a stretch that made one wonder what sort of team had shown up for the first 26 minutes of play. And thanks to a 26-7 tear over a 9:07 span midway through the second half, UMass took its first lead of the game at the 7:22 mark and didn’t look back, triumphing over the Dragons in the National Invitation Tournament quarterfinals, 72-70.

With the win, the Minutemen advance to the semifinals of the NIT to face the winner of Nevada and Stanford in Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Clinging to a 72-70 lead, UMass made one more stop with 15.7 seconds remaining to secure the victory. Drexel’s Frantz Massenat drove to the lane but his attempt was no good as the Minutemen batted the ball behind half court. Chris Fouch couldn’t get off a last-second heave in time as the horn sounded and UMass completed the unthinkable.

“I’m just proud of the team,” said UMass coach Derek Kellogg in a radio interview. “Like I said all along, I’ve really enjoyed coaching these guys. I love being around them and they’re playing their butts off. To see them to not quit, to continue to play, was just fantastic.”

The Minutemen (25-11) looked overmatched by the frontcourt of Drexel in the first half, surrendering an eye-popping 34 points in the paint and 12 offensive rebounds that turned into 17 points off turnovers for the Dragons. Offensively, UMass shied away from the 3-point shot – going 0-for-2 from downtown in the first half – which has been a staple part of its offense all year.

Turns out all it took was the typical UMass basketball formula of forcing turnovers, getting in transition and causing chaos to get back into the game. The Minutemen strung together a pair of runs – a 9-0 spurt and 9-2 stretch – to bring the former 17-point deficit into a one possession game, 57-54, with 10:03 remaining. During that 10:26 frame, UMass forced six turnovers and turned them into layups and 3-pointers in transition, including just the Minutemen’s second successful 3-pointer of the game when Chaz Williams turned a steal into a pull-up triple, forcing Drexel to call a timeout to try and stop the bleeding.

It was too late. UMass was just getting started.

After Terrell Vinson reeled off five straight points to make it a 60-59 game, Javorn Farrell forced a Dragons turnover, giving Jesse Morgan the ball on the break. The sophomore pulled up at the 3-point line and buried a trey to give the Minutemen their first lead of the night, 62-60, with 7:22 left to play in the game.

From that moment on, Vinson took over. UMass continued to feed its most reliable option and the Baltimore, Md. native responded with six straight points to give the Minutemen their largest lead of the game, 68-62, with 4:14 left to play.

Vinson was on fire down the stretch, scoring 14 of his 18 points in the second half alone to help reverse the team from a potential blowout loss to a thrilling victory.

“We played defense, we came back, we fought,” said Vinson. “They gave it to me a little bit, I scored a few buckets and it was game [over].”

As UMass was climbing back into the game, Kellogg took on the roll of cheerleader, challenging the minimal Minutemen fan base to compete with the Drexel’s lively home crowd, which had the small Daskalakis Center rumbling for most of the game.

“I was really just having some fun, honestly. I mean, they had the rest of the building all sold out and screaming all game so we needed to get our guys going.”

Williams finished the game with a game-high 20 points on 8-for-13 shooting while also playing the entire 40 minutes of the contest. Morgan added 13 while no other Minuteman registered more than more than six.

Dartaye Ruffin finished with 17 points for Drexel off the bench, but couldn’t register a basket in the second half. It was a similar story for Samme Givens, who had 10 points in the first half on 4-for-5 shooting but only managed two points at a 1-for-7 pace in the final frame.

The win marks the program’s first trip to the NIT Final Four since 2008 when UMass shrugged off a 22-point deficit to beat Syracuse in the quarterfinals. And with three straight road wins over Mississippi State, Seton Hall and now the Dragons, the Minutemen are just the fourth team to reach the semifinals in such a fashion.

UMass will have a week off before it heads to MSG on March 27 for a chance to reach the NIT championship game.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Sellner.

3 Responses to “UMass basketball enters NIT Final Four after beating Drexel”
  1. Wes says:

What a crazy game, it had to be over 90 degrees in that arena… after DK turned around to pump up the crowd everyone was on their feet until the buzzer.

2. A. Harm says:

Very nice recap of the game. Well done!

3. Davin says:

GO UMASS! Proud of you guys. – UMASS Alum.