Twitter executive speaks to future entrepreneurs -

Monday, March 2, 2015

UMass closes out regular season on a high note with victory over URI -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Gang of Four loses its essence on dreary ‘What Happens Next’ -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Students should take action to secure state funding for UMass -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Trio of seniors shine in UMass women’s basketball’s Senior Day win -

Monday, March 2, 2015

ESPN employees seek to get women involved in technology -

Monday, March 2, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises to 11-3 win over Holy Cross Saturday -

Monday, March 2, 2015

New ‘research’ on moral dilemmas -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Twin River unveil infectious, exciting debut LP -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Big Sean reaches for the top with solid “Dark Sky Paradise” -

Monday, March 2, 2015

SGA hosts first annual Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Monday, March 2, 2015

The Weekly Dead with Jack and Alex – ‘Them’ and ‘The Distance’ -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

UMass to host free concert featuring Kesha, Juicy J to deter students from participating in ‘Blarney’ -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to 0-4 with Saturday’s defeat to Brown -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Strong second half snaps three-game losing streak for UMass -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

‘UMass basketball’ returns in victory over Fordham -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

First quarter woes sink UMass men’s lacrosse in Grant Whiteway’s return -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass seeks increased energy as it hosts Fordham -

Friday, February 27, 2015

UMass basketball enters NIT Final Four after beating Drexel

Trailing by 17 at Drexel with 16 minutes, 29 seconds, it appeared all the magic had run out for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team this season. And had the season ended on Tuesday night, it would’ve left the program with a reason to keep its head up and be excited for the bright future awaiting the Minutemen.

However, it turns out UMass was merely saving its biggest comeback of the season for its biggest moment.

The Minutemen mounted an improbable run; a stretch that made one wonder what sort of team had shown up for the first 26 minutes of play. And thanks to a 26-7 tear over a 9:07 span midway through the second half, UMass took its first lead of the game at the 7:22 mark and didn’t look back, triumphing over the Dragons in the National Invitation Tournament quarterfinals, 72-70.

With the win, the Minutemen advance to the semifinals of the NIT to face the winner of Nevada and Stanford in Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Clinging to a 72-70 lead, UMass made one more stop with 15.7 seconds remaining to secure the victory. Drexel’s Frantz Massenat drove to the lane but his attempt was no good as the Minutemen batted the ball behind half court. Chris Fouch couldn’t get off a last-second heave in time as the horn sounded and UMass completed the unthinkable.

“I’m just proud of the team,” said UMass coach Derek Kellogg in a radio interview. “Like I said all along, I’ve really enjoyed coaching these guys. I love being around them and they’re playing their butts off. To see them to not quit, to continue to play, was just fantastic.”

The Minutemen (25-11) looked overmatched by the frontcourt of Drexel in the first half, surrendering an eye-popping 34 points in the paint and 12 offensive rebounds that turned into 17 points off turnovers for the Dragons. Offensively, UMass shied away from the 3-point shot – going 0-for-2 from downtown in the first half – which has been a staple part of its offense all year.

Turns out all it took was the typical UMass basketball formula of forcing turnovers, getting in transition and causing chaos to get back into the game. The Minutemen strung together a pair of runs – a 9-0 spurt and 9-2 stretch – to bring the former 17-point deficit into a one possession game, 57-54, with 10:03 remaining. During that 10:26 frame, UMass forced six turnovers and turned them into layups and 3-pointers in transition, including just the Minutemen’s second successful 3-pointer of the game when Chaz Williams turned a steal into a pull-up triple, forcing Drexel to call a timeout to try and stop the bleeding.

It was too late. UMass was just getting started.

After Terrell Vinson reeled off five straight points to make it a 60-59 game, Javorn Farrell forced a Dragons turnover, giving Jesse Morgan the ball on the break. The sophomore pulled up at the 3-point line and buried a trey to give the Minutemen their first lead of the night, 62-60, with 7:22 left to play in the game.

From that moment on, Vinson took over. UMass continued to feed its most reliable option and the Baltimore, Md. native responded with six straight points to give the Minutemen their largest lead of the game, 68-62, with 4:14 left to play.

Vinson was on fire down the stretch, scoring 14 of his 18 points in the second half alone to help reverse the team from a potential blowout loss to a thrilling victory.

“We played defense, we came back, we fought,” said Vinson. “They gave it to me a little bit, I scored a few buckets and it was game [over].”

As UMass was climbing back into the game, Kellogg took on the roll of cheerleader, challenging the minimal Minutemen fan base to compete with the Drexel’s lively home crowd, which had the small Daskalakis Center rumbling for most of the game.

“I was really just having some fun, honestly. I mean, they had the rest of the building all sold out and screaming all game so we needed to get our guys going.”

Williams finished the game with a game-high 20 points on 8-for-13 shooting while also playing the entire 40 minutes of the contest. Morgan added 13 while no other Minuteman registered more than more than six.

Dartaye Ruffin finished with 17 points for Drexel off the bench, but couldn’t register a basket in the second half. It was a similar story for Samme Givens, who had 10 points in the first half on 4-for-5 shooting but only managed two points at a 1-for-7 pace in the final frame.

The win marks the program’s first trip to the NIT Final Four since 2008 when UMass shrugged off a 22-point deficit to beat Syracuse in the quarterfinals. And with three straight road wins over Mississippi State, Seton Hall and now the Dragons, the Minutemen are just the fourth team to reach the semifinals in such a fashion.

UMass will have a week off before it heads to MSG on March 27 for a chance to reach the NIT championship game.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Sellner.

3 Responses to “UMass basketball enters NIT Final Four after beating Drexel”
  1. Wes says:

What a crazy game, it had to be over 90 degrees in that arena… after DK turned around to pump up the crowd everyone was on their feet until the buzzer.

2. A. Harm says:

Very nice recap of the game. Well done!

3. Davin says:

GO UMASS! Proud of you guys. – UMASS Alum.