Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UMass edges by Quinnipiac as Plourde sets school strikeout record

Game after game, the mystique surrounding Sara Plourde continues to build.

The sophomore pitcher for the Massachusetts softball team placed herself in the record books yesterday as she broke UMass’ all-time strikeout record, in a 1-0 win over Quinnipiac and threw her sixth career no-hitter.

The game was also the Minutewomen’s (14-10, 2-0 Atlantic 10) home opener after starting the season with 23 straight road contests.

Plourde started the game on fire, mowing down the first five hitters she faced, which moved her only two strikeouts away from the school record.  She tied the record in the second inning and then she registered her seventh punch-out of the game in the third for her school record 1,344th strikeout. The previous school record was held by Danielle Henderson, who held the record since 1999.

Plourde went seven innings, did not allow a hit, walked three batters and struck out 15. She now has 1,353 career strikeouts which moves her to 15th place in NCAA history.

“Before the game, I tried not to think about the record, but obviously because of all the posts and stuff that people put out, I knew how many strikeouts I needed, but you still need to go out by out,” said Plourde.

After a rather slow start to the game, the Minutewomen broke open the scoreless tie in the bottom-half of the third inning on a two-out, run scoring double by Quianna Diaz-Patterson that brought in Teea Rogers from first.

The Bobcats (13-9, 2-2 Northeast Conference) had its first real opportunity against Plourde in the top of the fifth inning, when they put together a two-out rally, via two walks and an error, but Plourde was able to get out of a bases loaded situation with her 12th strikeout of the game.

“Anything definitely could have happened. I had to really zone in and stay pitch by pitch, see what happens and just go with that,” she said. “If you start thinking about everything else, the only thing that really matters is what you’re throwing to the batter.”

After the threat by the Bobcats in the fifth inning, the rest of the game played out as a pitchers’ duel. Quinnipiac pitcher Heather Schwartzburg did her best to keep her team in the game. She accumulated 11 strikeouts of her own and did not allow a UMass base runner to advance past first base after the third inning in her complete game effort.

UMass coach Elaine Sortino, now in her 33rd season with the team, has had the privilege of coaching Plourde through her entire career and was happy for her All-American pitcher, but relieved that the team was able to pull out the victory.

“I think when you have great players like Sarah Plourde or any player or any athlete at this school, these days are days that people get excited about on the outside, but to the true competitors, the game is more important than the record.  It’s a tremendous accomplishment over a long period of time.”

Along with Diaz-Patterson’s RBI double, the Minutewomen got its offense from junior outfielder Katie Bettencourt, sophomore Lindsey Webster, and Plourde, who all pitched in with a hit apiece.

The win was UMass’ eighth in its last 11 games after starting the season off 6-7.  The Minutewomen will continue its current three-game home stand with two games this weekend against Atlantic 10 rival, Dayton on Friday and Saturday.  Friday’s game is scheduled for a 3 p.m. start.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter at MDC_Strohecker.