Not your ordinary cup of Joe

Those warm, spring break feelings have come and gone, and now the academic semester is starting to heat up.

Courtesy of Samantha Gillis

As your schedule begins to fill with masses of homework, papers, projects and exams, you’ll probably find yourself reaching for a caffeinated beverage to get you through those late night study sessions. What you reach for will most likely be coffee. Probably the same lukewarm, medium-dark roast you get every day. Can you feel the cobwebs forming on your palette? There are many easy ways to break out of the routine and into some new and exciting coffee options.

So, this finals season, why not spruce up your loyal study companion with some fun and alternative recipes?

Coffee Milkshake

Nothing fits the springtime mood better than a cold milkshake on a warm day, especially when it’s mixed with your favorite brew of coffee. To make, simply add 0.25 cups of strong, cooled coffee, two cups of ice cream, 0.5 cups of milk to a blender and blend it all to perfection. Serve with an extra scoop of ice cream with chocolate syrup or caramel topping to shake up those dull Monday mornings.

Irish Coffee

Missing those St. Patrick’s Day celebrations already? Then you’ll love this variation on a classic.

First, fill a coffee mug with boiling water and let stand. As your mug is warming, whisk 0.25 cups of heavy cream until thick. Pour the boiling water out of your mug, dry it off and add 1 oz. of Irish whiskey. Add a sugar cube and let it sit for 30 seconds before adding the coffee and stirring until the sugar is fully dissolved. Now comes the tricky part, after which you will feel like a hotshot bartender. Turn a spoon upside down and put it over the mug, then slowly pour the heavy cream over the spoon, creating a floating layer at the top of the mug. Enjoy on a chilly spring evening.

Magic Coffee

Finished overnight, this makes the perfect iced coffee. You’ll need 2-3 cups coarsely ground coffee, 3 cups of water, 1 tsp cinnamon, 3 tbsp dark brown sugar  and an optional 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Simply throw all of the ingredients into a quart jug and stir, then cover and refrigerate overnight. To prevent your coffee from becoming watery as the ice cubes melt, a neat trick is to substitute with coffee ice cubes. Simply pour coffee into an ice cube tray and let freeze. In the morning, pour through a fine sieve and voila: a fresh, easy and cheap alternative to Starbucks – and a perfect pick-me-up for any morning.

Caramel Frappe

Nothing beats the classic coffee shop caramel frappe. Bring the coffee shop to you and make this simple recipe in your own kitchen. Simply put 0.5 cups of chilled coffee, 2 cups of ice, 0.5 cups of milk or cream, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 3 tablespoons of caramel syrup into a blender and blend. Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream and extra caramel syrup for a super sweet morning.

Mocha Popsicles

With summer fast approaching, we’ll all need to find ways to stay cool. These popsicles are a frosty treat. You will need popsicle molds, 2 cups of extra strong coffee or espresso, 2-3 cups of sweetened condensed milk, and 1.5 tablespoon of unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa powder. Simply mix together the coffee, condensed milk and cocoa powder, then pour into popsicle molds and freeze. This should take about eight hours. Once done, sit back and enjoy the warm weather.

There are many ways to enjoy your coffee, and thousands of recipes are available online. You can also enjoy it in ice cream, cookies, pies, cakes, muffins and many other foods. So grab a cup (or plate) and get studying.

Jessica Clarke can be reached at [email protected].