Predicting the Annual NHL Awards

Courtesy of NHLSnipers.com

Hart Award– Henrik Lundqvist, Goalie, New York Rangers
This is the toughest of all the awards to figure out. Around this time last year, we had no way of knowing Corey Perry would score 19 goals in his last 19 games, reaching the 50-goal mark and catapulting his Ducks into the playoffs. Barring another late season surge in the last week, Lundqvist should receive the Hart. The Rangers lead the Eastern Conference, led by Lundqvist’s 1.91 Goals-against average and .932 save percentage (Tim Thomas set the record last year with a .938 pct). The easiest test is this: you take Lundqvist off of the Rangers, and they’d only be a borderline playoff team.
Honorable Mentions: Evgeni Malkin, C, Pittsburgh Penguins; Steven Stamkos, C, Tampa Bay Lightning

Norris Trophy – Shea Weber, D, Nashville Predators
Nashville’s steady rise from perennial playoff qualifier to legitimate Stanley Cup contender coincides with Weber’s rise to preeminence among defensemen. The Norris, given to the defensemen who best excels at both ends of the ice, has to go to Weber. He buoys the Preds’ blue line with 19 goals, 30 assists, and a plus/minus rating of +19 – all while being among the league leaders in time on the ice. Those numbers, coupled with that fact that he shuts down the opposing teams’ top line, just reinforces his place among the elite.
Honorable Mentions: Zdeno Chara, D, Boston Bruins; Erik Karlsson, D, Ottawa Senators

Vezina Trophy – Henrik Lundqvisk, G, New York Rangers
This is about as an open-and-shut case as it was last year with Tim Thomas deemed as the NHL’s best goaltender. Lundqvist is second in Save Pct. and third in GAA, only trailing the two Blues goalies that split their time in net.
Honorable Mentions: Pekka Rinne, G, Nashville Predators; Jonathan Quick, G, Los Angeles Kings

Selke Trophy- Patrice Bergeron, C, Boston Bruins
I recognize that this may be a “homer” pick, but after years of watching Bergeron’s play intently, I have come to realize how sublime his game is. The Selke, which awards the best defensive forward in the game, has to go to the longtime Bruin. Although his play doesn’t always show itself on the score sheet, these do: +35 plus/minus (best in the NHL), 936 faceoff wins (primarily in the defensive end, also good for 1st in the NHL), along with 21 goals and 39 assists.
Honorable Mentions: Pavel Datsyuk, C, Detroit Red Wings; Vladimir Sobotka, C, St. Louis Blues

Calder Trophy- Gabriel Landeskog, RW, Colorado Avalanche
Selected second overall in the 2011 Draft, Landeskog has risen from the pack and solidified his standing as the best rookie in the game today. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins’ injury cut short his season which helped open the door for Avalanche forward. Landeskog leads all rookies with 51 points and a +23 rating as the Avalanche vie for a return to the playoffs in the last week of the regular season.
Honorable Mentions: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Edmonton Oilers; Adam Henrique, C, New Jersey Devils

Mark Bruso can be reached for comment at [email protected].