La Salle continues winning trend

The La Salle women’s lacrosse team picked up its fourth straight win this Sunday afternoon with an impressive 14-10 beating over St. Bonaventure. The Explorers remained perfect (2-0) in Atlantic 10 play and improved to 9-2 overall.

With the game tied at eight in a back and forth tilt, La Salle scored four times in under two minutes to take the lead for good, sending the Bonnies to its fourth straight lost.

The Explorers’ current win streak comes at exactly the right time for La Salle. The Explorers have just five games remaining on their schedule — all against A-10 opponents — as they try to enter the conference tournament hot.

La Salle’s winning has been aided by double-digit goal productions in its last five games, averaging almost 13 points per game over that stretch.

St. Bonaventure’s loss spoiled a great day for Lauren Michaels, who scored three times in the affair. Daisy Timlin added two of her own, but the Bonnies (2-4, 0-2 A-10) failed to hang with the Explorers in the end. The Bonnies started 2-0, scoring 15 and 16 goals, respectively, in their first two games. In their last four, however, they’ve managed 7.5 per game.

The Explorers’ next contest is this Saturday at Temple, while St. Bonaventure heads to Duquesne today.

Temple falls in A-10 match

Temple failed to protect its home turf on Sunday as Duquesne arrived and put the beating on the Owls, 14-7. Caitlin Prince scored five times for the Dukes (8-4, 1-1 A-10) to earn their first conference victory of the season. The loss for Temple (7-4, 1-1 A-10) comes during a string of games against A-10 opponents.

Earning its first conference win of the season, Duquesne rebounded nicely following an overtime loss to A-10 foe La Salle. The 12-11 loss ended a three-game streak where the Dukes scored at least 18 goals.

The Owls started the season an impressive 5-0, but have since lost five of their last seven.

Inconsistent defense appears to be the scapegoat for Temple. The Owls have let up double digit goals in five of their past seven games, including 20 to then-No.5 Florida.

The Dukes looks to improve to 5-0 at home when it hosts St. Bonaventure’s later today, while Temple travels to George Washington.

GW takes OT match with SJU

In a thrilling A-10 conference game, George Washington stood tall with a 10-9 overtime victory against Saint Joseph’s last Friday. The win marks the first conference victory of the year for GW, as it improves to 7-3 overall.

Junior Nicole Lacey scored with five seconds remaining in the extra frame to catapult the Colonials to victory. At one point, GW trailed the Hawks, 7-1, but countered with a 7-1 run of its own to tie the game at eight.

The Colonials started the season 4-1 and have continued its strong level of play as the A-10 Women’s lacrosse playoffs inch closer.

Both teams return to action on Friday, as GW travels to Richmond and the Hawks head to UMass.

Brendan Tuma can be reached at [email protected].