Score beach-ready skin this spring

MCT

Growing up, acne-prone pre-teens around the world are told that once they become adults those awkward bumps and lumps on their faces would be a thing of the past. The problem is that for most people, this isn’t true.

Still, it’s nothing to be ashamed of. With summer around the corner, the University of Massachusetts Recreation Center is probably seeing a large influx of new faces. For some of us, though, it’s not what’s jiggling when we’re in a bathing suit that’s keeping us from soaking in the sun with some friends – it’s that breakout that just decided it would choose the most inconvenient of days to pop up. However, there are quite a few affordable products out there that can help combat any skin problem for your spring needs that can be found in stores close to campus.

First and foremost, protecting your skin from sun damage is not only the best way to prevent wrinkles later on, it’s also going to protect you from various forms of skin cancer. So when you’re lathering up sunscreen on your back, do not forget about your face.

The Massachusetts Daily Collegian sampled a variety of skin care products and has provided readers with a list of the best on shelves everywhere.

The best way to protect your face is to use a moisturizer that also acts as an SPF and an anti-wrinkle formula. Neutrogena’s Ageless Intensives Anti-Wrinkle Deep Wrinkle Moisturizer SPF 20 ($18.99 at retailers like Walmart and Target) is quite pricey, but it’s cheaper than buying separate moisturizers, face sunblock and anti-aging products. It’s also better with people who have oilier skin because you’re only applying one product instead of piling on three separate products and clogging your pores in the process.

For those who get recurring or even occasional blemishes, a miracle has blessed the shelves of drug stores across America. The company Zeno originally released a blemish-clearing device with astounding results and even a more astounding price. The device uses heat to destroy bacteria trapped underneath the skin and the results were almost immediate. Unfortunately, the launching price was close to a whopping $100. However, Zeno has recently released a new product called the Zeno Hot Spot, which is essentially the same product but the cost has been reduced to $39.99. It’s still a good fraction of your next paycheck but near immediate results may just be worth the cost.

Blackheads on the nose are a very common skin problem. They’re very easy to manage, however, with products such as Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips ($8.49 at Target). The steps are simple: wash your face, apply the strip to your still-wet face, let the strip’s adhesive material dry on your nose and then slowly peel the strip off. The results are instant and you can even see what was trapped in your pores on the strip. Gross? Maybe. Cleansing? Definitely.

The number one area that most beachgoers are concerned about with acne is when it locates on the back. According to the experts at Acne.org, “back acne (bacne) can be harder to treat than facial acne. The back is made of thicker, tougher skin with thousands of glands that produce a lot of oil.” Taking care of this problem area is simple though. Acne.org recommends applying benzoyl peroxide to the back after a shower for the best results.

With these affordable products and tips, your skin will be the last thing keeping you from having fun on the beach when you’re in a bathing suit. Even above all of these tips, though, it’s more important to be healthy than to look good – so don’t forget to protect yourself from sun damage with an SPF that covers your body and face.

Stephen Margelony-Lajoie can be reached at [email protected].