UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

The Fashion of Native Sun

Courtesy of SongKick.com

Take a sick beat mixed with African rhythms and drumming, the bold lyrics of Mohammed Yahya about human rights and oppression, and add Sarina Leah’s bluesy Billie Holiday-esque vocals, and you have the recipe for what Native Sun calls “starving artist music.”

Commonly referred to as world town music, it encompasses rhythms that will make you sway, but engage the audience to look deeper. One producing such powerful music needs equally powerful style. I got the chance to speak with Sarina Leah, the singer of the duo, about what inspires her personal style and how does that represent the music. She wore an oversized jacket, vintage dress, black leggings for comfortable movement, Nike high top sneakers and big earrings in the shape of Africa.

Eclectic and urban are the perfect descriptions of the interesting ensemble that the singer pieced together.

“Because I studied fashion, it comes from a make, mend, do point of view” Leah said.

Her Caribbean heritage has contributed to her love of vintage and one-of-a-kind pieces. The mixture of patterns, textures and accessories reflects the conscious music she creates alongside Mohammed Yahya, by using recycled clothing, abstaining from leathers and furs and wearing more ethnic pieces or prints representative of the African culture.

The oversized jacket was a piece she found and added her own personal flair by sewing some of her favorite patterns on. When asked about who her fashion icons were, she said she was a “head hunter” who finds inspiration from whenever she sees something that interests her and dresses according to however she feels, rather than modeling her warbdrobe off of one particular person.

Sarina Leah is the style love child of Erykah Badu’s spontaneous modern African twist and the cool factor of a Andre 3000. Style like Leah’s is timeless because it is personal and unabashed by main stream trends.

You can view more of Sarina’s creations by visiting www.wildsuga.com for more style and vintage inspired pieces.

Nia Decaille can be reached for comment at ndecaill@student.umass.edu.