UMass wins a pair of A-10 games

In an all-around team effort, the No. 10 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team dominated Atlantic 10 opponent St. Bonaventure, 21-7, on Senior Day on Sunday afternoon.

Ten different Minutewomen (14-1, 5-0 A-10) tallied a goal with Cori Murray leading the way with five scores.

Katie Ferris continued her record-breaking success this year with an impressive 10-point game including four goals and six assists.

Senior attacker Nina Sarcona dazzled the McGuirk Stadium crowd on senior day with four goals, one assist, one groundball, one caused turnover and a game-high 10 draw controls.

Other seniors Ali Houlis, Danielle Pelletier and Riley Perry also got in on the fun. Houlis and Perry both scored a goal while Pelletier and Houlis added two assists apiece.

The Bonnies (3-7, 0-5 A-10) had a rough time finding ways to score against the UMass defense all game long. They were led in scoring by Mackenzie Jordan and Erin Thomas, who scored three and two goals, respectively.

St. Bonaventure did receive a spectacular performance in net by Karly Kocis. She gave up 20 goals, but the number could have been much higher if it weren’t for her 17 saves.

The Minutewomen held an advantage in almost every major statistical category except for saves, free position goals and fouls. UMass out-shot the Bonnies by 27, picked up 10 more groundballs, controlled 13 more draw controls and committed 12 less turnovers. The Minutewomen also converted on a higher percentage of the clearing opportunities.

Perry anchored the stellar defensive performance by UMass with a game-high four caused turnovers along with three groundballs. Another senior Dayna Defliese led with five groundballs.

Not much was asked of senior goalkeeper Katie Florence who let up one goal and made no saves in just 10 minutes and three seconds of game time. Rachel Vallarelli, UMass’ future goalkeeper, played the rest of the game in net. She allowed six goals and stopped eight shots while picking up the win.

The Bonnies scored the games first goal on an unassisted tally by Danielle Drabin. This proved to be the only lead St. Bonaventure would hold in the game, as the Minutewomen rattled off the next five goals to take the 5-1 lead, less then seven minutes into the game. This stretch included three unassisted goals for UMass in a mere 48 second stretch.

The Bonnies finally scored their second goal of the game at the 16:46 mark on an unassisted goal by Thomas, but the Minutewomen responded with four more of their own to take a 9-2 advantage.

Thomas responded with her second of the game to close the gap to six, but every time St. Bonaventure scored, UMass found a way to answer. They poured on  three more goals after Thomas’ score and took a 12-3 lead into the half. This stretch included two goals by Murray in the final 17 seconds of the half.

Early in the second half the two teams traded goals with each other, and the Bonnies cut the Minutewomen lead to eight.

Just as momentum seemed to be in the Bonnies favor, the Minutewomen kicked it into high gear and scored the games final six goals to put St. Bonaventure away.

Senior Brittany Schoen also received playing time but was unable to connect on a goal late in the game despite a couple of chances. Schoen has not scored a goal this season.

At the game, UMass also honored the 1982 women’s lacrosse national championship team.

“It was a total team effort. We had a lot of assisted goals on attack. We had great defensive caused turnovers. I think our ride went really good,” said UMass coach Angela McMahon. “I think they were really excited to celebrate today with both honoring the seniors and the 1982 national [championship] team. So it was good energy, good intensity and I’m glad it was a good team win,” said McMahon.

Minutewomen win thriller

UMass started off its weekend with a thrilling 10-8 overtime win at Duquesne.

Senior Jessie O’Donnell was the Minutewomen’s hero in this one, as she scored four goals and added an assist for a game-high five points.

Two of these goals came at pivotal points in the game. O’Donnell scored the game-tying goal with 1:37 left in regulation to send the game into overtime. Then at the 2:16 mark in overtime O’Donnell netted her second in a row, which proved to be the game-winner.

No other UMass player recorded a multi-goal game as six players scored one goal.

The Dukes (10-5, 3-2 A-10) were led by Haley Marafioti, Caitlin Prince and Meredith Dunn, who each scored two goals apiece. Two other players chipped in a single goal and Amanda Kidder tallied Duquesne’s only assist.

The Minutewomen had their chances to build a lead but the Dukes’ goalie Liz Walker came up big with 18 saves against the high-powered UMass offense.

The Minutewomen received a solid game from Florence who saved nine shots and allowed eight goals on her way to picking up the win.

The two teams were nearly even when it came to groundballs and turnovers. Duquesne held a slight advantage in groundballs and committed three less fouls than the Minutewomen.

UMass held the advantage in draw controls with 15 compared to the Dukes six, including three crucial ones in overtime. Sarcona led the way for the Minutewomen with a game high six draw controls.

Duquesne proved to be the sloppier of the two teams with 18 turnovers compared to UMass’ 13.

The Minutewomen had to crawl their way back into the game after facing 4-2 deficit entering the second half.

UMass tied the game up at six on O’Donnell’s second goal of the game.

The Dukes however responded with two straight goals of their own to take back the lead at 8-6.

But Duquesne would fail to find the back of the net again and the Minutewomen tied the game up and won it in overtime.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_McDonough.