50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

Boston College to drop UMass from hoop schedule

Erica Baptiste/Collegian

The annual “Commonwealth Classic” basketball game between Massachusetts and Boston College has been put to a halt – at least for the time being.

According to a Daily Hampshire Gazette report, UMass athletic director John McCutcheon confirmed that the Eagles would be dropping the Minutemen from their schedule beginning next season. He cited that BC’s Atlantic Coast Conference schedule expansion from 16 to 18 games was the reason for calling off the rivalry game.

“They informed us because of the expanded ACC schedule that they didn’t feel that they could continue the series,” McCutcheon told the Gazette.

The decision will end a 17-year run in which the two schools have squared off against each other. The series was revived in 1995 when Marcus Camby led UMass to a 65-57 victory at a sold-out Fleet Center in Boston.

This season, the Minutemen traveled to Conte Forum and stomped the Eagles, 82-46, which was their first win over the in-state rivals since Derek Kellogg took over as head coach four years ago.

The win paved the way for a strong season for UMass in which it finished 25-12 and advanced to the NIT semifinals. BC finished 9-22 and did not qualify for a postseason tournament.

Next season’s game was originally scheduled to be played at the Mullins Center.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Hewitt.