UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Boston College to drop UMass from hoop schedule

Erica Baptiste/Collegian

The annual “Commonwealth Classic” basketball game between Massachusetts and Boston College has been put to a halt – at least for the time being.

According to a Daily Hampshire Gazette report, UMass athletic director John McCutcheon confirmed that the Eagles would be dropping the Minutemen from their schedule beginning next season. He cited that BC’s Atlantic Coast Conference schedule expansion from 16 to 18 games was the reason for calling off the rivalry game.

“They informed us because of the expanded ACC schedule that they didn’t feel that they could continue the series,” McCutcheon told the Gazette.

The decision will end a 17-year run in which the two schools have squared off against each other. The series was revived in 1995 when Marcus Camby led UMass to a 65-57 victory at a sold-out Fleet Center in Boston.

This season, the Minutemen traveled to Conte Forum and stomped the Eagles, 82-46, which was their first win over the in-state rivals since Derek Kellogg took over as head coach four years ago.

The win paved the way for a strong season for UMass in which it finished 25-12 and advanced to the NIT semifinals. BC finished 9-22 and did not qualify for a postseason tournament.

Next season’s game was originally scheduled to be played at the Mullins Center.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Hewitt.