Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Boston College to drop UMass from hoop schedule

Erica Baptiste/Collegian

The annual “Commonwealth Classic” basketball game between Massachusetts and Boston College has been put to a halt – at least for the time being.

According to a Daily Hampshire Gazette report, UMass athletic director John McCutcheon confirmed that the Eagles would be dropping the Minutemen from their schedule beginning next season. He cited that BC’s Atlantic Coast Conference schedule expansion from 16 to 18 games was the reason for calling off the rivalry game.

“They informed us because of the expanded ACC schedule that they didn’t feel that they could continue the series,” McCutcheon told the Gazette.

The decision will end a 17-year run in which the two schools have squared off against each other. The series was revived in 1995 when Marcus Camby led UMass to a 65-57 victory at a sold-out Fleet Center in Boston.

This season, the Minutemen traveled to Conte Forum and stomped the Eagles, 82-46, which was their first win over the in-state rivals since Derek Kellogg took over as head coach four years ago.

The win paved the way for a strong season for UMass in which it finished 25-12 and advanced to the NIT semifinals. BC finished 9-22 and did not qualify for a postseason tournament.

Next season’s game was originally scheduled to be played at the Mullins Center.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Hewitt.

You must be logged in to post a comment.