UMass dashes and dines

Ardee Napolitano/Collegian

Over 600 people gathered in front of Berkshire Dining Commons Saturday morning to partake in the University of Massachusetts’ third-annual 5K Dash and Dine. Sponsored by the University’s Auxiliary Services, the event hopes to encourage students to eat healthier and exercise more, said Dining Services Dietitian Dianne Sutherland, who is the primary organizer of the race.

“With obesity on the rise, we’re trying to get students to stay fit and eat healthy,” Sutherland said.

To ensure a healthy lifestyle, Sutherland encourages students to exercise for at least 30 minutes each day. Sutherland added that she was excited that this year’s race has attracted more people than in prior years.

In addition, Sutherland said 75 percent of the 600 people who preregistered for the race were UMass students.

“We want to promote health awareness to UMass students by exercising,” said Ken Toong, director of auxiliary enterprises.

Registration for the event cost $10 per person. Toong said that for every  registered person, Dining Services will donate one meal to the Amherst Survival Center.

“We’ve always wanted to raise money for our neighbors in need,” Toong said.

Additionally, Toong added that proceeds will be donated to the Survival Center. He said organizers expected to raise at least $5,000 this year, $3,000 more than last year’s goal.

“The Amherst Survival Center has been around for 35 years, and throughout the years, there has been a wonderful relationship between UMass and the Survival Center,” said Marcie Sclove, treasurer on the board of directors at the Survival Center.. “[Ken Toong] has done a good job of bridging these two institutions together.”

Sclove called the donations “generous,” and praised the University for promoting a healthy lifestyle while benefiting a charity institution at the same time.

“I think it’s great for students to come out and get a little exercise, and feel the community of being part of something that’s larger than themselves,” she added.

Meghan Pace, a freshman music major at UMass, said she joined the event mainly because of its charitable nature.

“I have never done a race before, and I just thought it would be good, especially when it benefits the Survival Center,” Pace said.

The donations, Sclove said, will go toward the Survival Center’s construction of a new building along Sunderland Rd., which started earlier this month and is estimated to cost  $2.5 million. The money will also aid the shelter’s medical clinic, its soup kitchen, and other free programs offered in the facility.

The race ran from the Southwest Residential Area to Massachusetts Avenue, then towards North Pleasant Street and back to Commonwealth Avenue.

Although Toong said he did not know how much organizing the event cost, he said funds primarily came from Dining Services’ many sponsors, including Coca-Cola, Angie’s Food and Alaskan Seafood.

Brian Hurowitz, a student and employee at the Worcester Dining Commons, said he joined the race “just for fun.”

“They were asking people to sign up [in Worcester], and I said, ‘Why not?’”

Hurowitz added that he hopes the event will encourage other students to exercise more. “Running is a good way to get students involved, and to get them [running] early in the morning, too.”

UMass Chancellor Robert Holub attended the event with his wife and daughters. Although he did not participate, he said the event will be successful in promoting health awareness on campus.

“[This event] celebrates things that we really appreciate here – health and fitness, nutrition, good and local food, service learning, and of course, the Survival Center,” said Holub. “These are things that we value.”

Holub added that he believes in the importance of exercise, and he hopes to encourage students to get moving everyday.

“Stay healthy, eat right and live a good life for your community,” he said.

Ardee Napolitano can be reached at [email protected].