UMass football to play Penn State in 2014

The Massachusetts football team is heading to the Happy Valley.

According to a UMass press release, the Minutemen – who are entering their first year in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) next season – have signed agreements with numerous elite non-conference teams for games in upcoming seasons, including a date at Penn State that is slated for Sept. 20, 2014.

The game against the Nittany Lions completes a full non-conference schedule for the 2014 season that also includes matchups at Vanderbilt and home games at Gillette Stadium versus Boston College and Colorado that will open up the season.

In 2013, UMass will go up against another Big Ten school at Wisconsin to start the season, while it will also visit Kansas State and play host to Vanderbilt. The Minutemen still need one more non-conference game to complete its 2013 schedule.

New UMass coach Charley Molnar will match up against his old team when the Minutemen visit South Bend, Ind. to take on Notre Dame in 2015.

In other notable games, UMass will head south in 2016 to play Florida while also going on the road to BC in 2016 and 2018, respectively.

In 2017, the Minutemen will play at Indiana, a game that will also be played at Gillette Stadium next season. UMass’ 2012 non-conference schedule also includes road games at Michigan, Vanderbilt and Connecticut.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Hewitt.