Dates that are good for you and your wallet

You may be stretching your budget, but don’t let it affect your love life.

The new school year means tons of potential partners to choose from for those who are single. And it all can be done without breaking the bank.

Here are four date ideas that are either super cheap or completely free:

Ice skating

The Mullins Center offers free access to the ice rink when you bring your own skates at scheduled intervals.

Whether you have not been on the ice before or are a seasoned pro, skating is the perfect choice for a first (or any) date. If you and your date are arguably Olympic medal-worthy skaters, this is the time to get to know each other since you have the opportunity for more conversation and less embarrassing trip-ups.

If you’re an expert and your date’s never hit the ice before, you’re in luck because there are few things cuter than having an athletic man or woman carry you in his or her strong arms. If you both suck, embrace the awkwardness. There’s going to be plenty of falls, but this is the perfect time to show that you can laugh at yourself and have a good time.

Flickr/www.CourtneyCarmody.com

Cook a meal

This can be a cheaper alternative to dining out. Almost every dorm is equipped with a kitchen and cooking tools, so it’s actually easier to cook in your dorm than having to travel into town.

If you live off campus, chances are you already have a fully-equipped kitchen. Instead of cooking the meal by yourself and having it ready for your date, buy the groceries together and cook together.

Cooking a meal together is a great way to bond because it allows you to communicate and work together as a couple to create something you can both enjoy.

Spend the day in Northampton

You don’t need any money to enjoy a day in Northampton. The streets of Noho are known for their cute boutiques and restaurants, but there’s a lot of free entertainment that takes place downtown. Musical performances, political rallies and the population’s eccentricities are all free to observe downtown.

There is also a large park just off the beaten path of downtown Northampton where you can spend a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Transit is also free for UMass students.

Take a group exercise class together

The couple that works out together stays together. This is a date recommended for couples that have already been dating for a while because there is very little talking involved.

However, trying to keep in shape with each other can be fun and easier than doing it on your own. A little competition is healthy in any relationship, so challenge each other to see who can do more reps or last in a Zumba class the longest. Besides, exercise has many health benefits that include reducing the effects of depression and stress, which will add up to a healthier and longer-lasting relationship.

Stephen Margelony-Lajoie can be reached at [email protected]