No. 19 UMass finding success away from home

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Back from the Terrapin Invitational in College Park, Md., the No. 19 Massachusetts field hockey team will have to do something they’re not too familiar with — play as the home team.

For only the second time this season, UMass returns to Garber Field as it tries to earn its first win in Amherst in 2012. The Minutewomen kickoff a six-game homestand on Friday against Northeastern.

All three of UMass’ wins this season have come away from home, topping a trio of ranked opponents in the process.

Coach Carla Tagliente highlighted the resiliency of her squad.

“We’ve shown that we’re quite comfortable on the road,” Tagliente said. “I don’t think (the team cares) where they play one way or the other, but being on the road (has worked for us so far).”

Tagliente also offered insight on how the travel affects the players physically and mentally.

“Being on the road is different in that you are actually together more often because here (at UMass) everyone is off on their own in dorms or apartments,” Tagliente said.

The travel “disrupts our daily routines, but (this is) a close team so playing on the road actually does help us because it brings (everyone) together.”

The Minutewomen’s strong start  to the season earned it the No. 19 spot in the NCAA rankings. But Tagliente downplayed the significance of the team’s ranking.

“Quite honestly, to me, the rankings do not (mean) that much,” Tagliente said. “I think the team is probably a little excited about it, but in terms of what it means in the long-run right now, it’s not that much.

“We’re only (six) games in, (so with 14) regular season games to go, there’s still a long road ahead of us and we’re taking it one day at a time.”

UMass’ play might be attributed to its unity between the players and coaches, who are all subscribing to the team motto, Invictus, which means unbreakable.

“The chemistry’s been great,” Tagliente said. “The word and the meaning behind Invictus, it means unbreakable so when you look at that and when you look at how this team has rebounded after Dartmouth and (other setbacks, they have) shown a great deal of resilience, but (Invictus) is more of a state of being.

“(This group gets) to that state of being by what they do each day,” Tagliente added. “The little things they do each week build that confidence in them so the cohesiveness and the unity right now is really good.”

Just six games into her first coaching job, UMass assistant coach Shannon Taylor echoes the positive sentiments and is excited about how the coaching staff interacts with the players.

“How we get along is awesome,” Taylor said. “Everyone’s throwing out ideas and it’s good to have three minds working together as one.

“Carla’s very good about giving me free reign to think of drills and implement things she thinks I would know, especially on the offensive end,” Taylor added.

“She’s very open to (my opinions) and if I have a question she’s always willing to help me out. Overall it has been (what I expected) and it’s actually been better.”

Peter Cappiello can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Cappiello.