Grooming Tips and Products for Men

There are several factors to take into account when deciding what hair care and skin care products to purchase. No two people have the exact same skin or hair, but, fortunately, most drug stores sell a gamut of products so we can have an easier time choosing what will work best for ourselves.

David Babaii for Wildaid - Facebook

Skin care

Personally, I am quite particular about the products I use. I have sensitive skin that can dry out quickly, but is also fairly prone to breakouts here and there. Because of these factors, I have to be a bit precise about my daily skincare routine.

Typically, I shower in the mornings and use Gillette Sport Body Wash. This product is pretty straightforward; there isn’t a lot to say about it. It works well, it smells nice – not too overpowering, but not so subtle that it isn’t noticeable – and it isn’t expensive. Gillette Sport body wash sells for $3.99 at Harmon. There isn’t a Harmon here in Amherst, but as it is a Bed Bath & Beyond owned store, this product can most likely be found at the local Bed Bath & Beyond.

I also wash my face in the shower using Nivea For Men Double Action Face Wash. This face wash is great for me because it moisturizes while deep cleaning. It also contains menthol and vitamin E, leaving my skin feeling awakened, fresh and clean and smelling subtly minty. Although the bottle suggests using this product twice a day (morning and night), I choose to only use it in the morning to avoid over-washing my face. If your skin is less sensitive than mine, you shouldn’t have a problem following the instructions more strictly. Nivea For Men Double Action Face Wash sells for $5.19 at CVS.

After going to the gym as well as right before bed, I use Stridex Sensitive skin pads. Each pad contains a low dose of salicylic acid, which helps fight and treat breakouts as well as aloe, which helps to soothe sensitive and irritable skin. The package suggests using this product “1-3 times daily,” which is why I play it safe with about two uses a day. Stridex Sensitive skin pads are $3.59 at Harmon’s official website and online shop, harmondiscount.com.

When it comes to shaving, I, again, have remarkably sensitive skin. Because of this, I stick to Edge Sensitive Skin shave gel. It contains “cooling conditioners” and aloe to help fight off redness and razor burn. The can also claims to have “special moisturizers and lubricants that provide unbeatable razor glide.” I don’t know how much validity Edge has in claiming its product is “unbeatable,” but it certainly does the job. Harmon sells Edge Sensitive Skin shave gel for $2.69.

Hair care

I have ridiculously thick hair (so thick, in fact, that I get it thinned out twice as often as I have it cut), so I choose to stick with products that help keep the weight and volume in check. I use Paul Mitchell shampoos (either The Wash or Shampoo One) because they supposedly exclude an ingredient that many shampoos include which expands hair follicles. The Wash keeps the weight down while still moisturizing, so it’s a great product for hair like mine. It goes for $12.99 at Walgreens. I wash my hair every couple of days so as to not dry out my scalp. Over-washing your hair can strip it of its natural oils, which can be detrimental to the overall health of your hair.

I’m also a complete and total fanboy of David Babaii for WildAid. I found it at Harmon several years ago, and since that time they have stopped selling it virtually everywhere, leaving me to pay exorbitant amounts of shipping costs in order to get my hands on his products. Needless to say, the products are absolutely one of a kind.

David Babaii for Wildaid Hydrating Conditioner has been unmatched by every conditioner I have tried since. It hydrates, moisturizes and smells incredible. Because it has been so difficult to find, I tend to ration it and use various other conditioners on any given day. I save David Babaii for special occasions when I know I can’t afford to have a bad hair day. The Hydrating Conditioner is currently on sale for $18.99 on Amazon.com. It is profoundly expensive, but if you are willing to splurge you will not be sorry.

David Babaii for Wildaid also makes Volcanic Ash Sculpting Clay that I truly cannot get by without. I was turned on to hair clay by some article I read in GQ a number of years ago, which claimed that hair clay is a great product to use if you have thicker hair because it won’t weigh the hair down and it won’t make it greasy. Of course, too much clay will weigh it down, but it’s a great product for styling especially if you aren’t seeking that stiff look you get from using hair gel and spray. Again, David Babaii’s product has been unmatched for me. It was featured in InStyle’s 2009 Best Beauty Buys and I’m truthfully disappointed that it has been so difficult to get my hands on. The Sculpting Clay is for sale on the HSN website for $14.95. It sounds like a boatload of money to spend on hair clay, but I haven’t had to buy a new jar for at least a year.

Remember, these products are ones I use for my particular hair and skin. They will likely work for you if you have sensitive skin and/or thick hair, but if you don’t I would suggest doing some research of your own.

Dane Feldman can be reached at [email protected].