Luke Spencer powers Xavier men’s soccer; La Salle earns draw

Luke Spencer led the charge for the Xavier men’s soccer team with two goals and an assist as the Musketeers topped Milwaukee, 3-1, on Sunday in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Wikimedia Commons

Spencer, a senior forward, scored his first goal in the 32nd minute off a pass from junior midfielder Adar Cohen.

Milwaukee (3-2-0) tied the game up in the 61st minute with a goal by freshman forward Stuart McBain, but the Musketeers (4-0-1) quickly responded 4:30 later. Freshman midfielder Rhodes Moore rebounded a blocked shot by Cohen and passed it over Spencer, who drilled it home to give the lead back to Xavier.

With 70 seconds left in the game, Spencer added an assist after finding sophomore midfielder Will Walker for an insurance goal.

With his performance, Spencer recorded his second multi-goal game of the season and remains on top of the Atlantic 10 in scoring with six goals on the season.

The win extends Xavier’s undefeated streak to five games this year, the longest streak to start a season in program history.

The Musketeers have also reached the three-goal mark in back-to-back matches for the first time since 2003.

Xavier returns to action with a road tilt at Virginia on Friday night.

La Salle draws with last-minute goal

A last-minute goal from La Salle forced overtime against Lafayette, but both teams failed to score in both overtime frames to earn a 1-1 draw on Sunday in Philadelphia.

Trailing by one in the final seconds of regulation, Explorers’ freshman midfielder Joe Farrell finished a rebound off a teammate’s shot with 34 seconds left to knot the score at one.

La Salle (3-1-1) had a big opportunity to win in overtime when sophomore forward Rob Friskey drilled the ball into the net in the 105th minute. However, Friskey was ruled offside to wave off the goal.

Another offside call in the final minute of the second overtime sealed the tie.

The Leopards (1-3-1) scored their lone goal in the 22nd minute when senior forward Kyle Scharfenberg took a pass from sophomore midfielder Chandler Fraser-Pauls and sent it in to put Lafayette up, 1-0.

The Explorers outshot the Leopards, 26-15, including 15-5 in the second half. But a strong performance from sophomore goalkeeper Alexander Leavy (12 saves) kept La Salle on its heels for the entire contest.

Fordham upsets No. 22 Brown

Fordham closed out the Brown Soccer Classic with a bang, upsetting No. 22 Brown, 1-0, on Sunday.

The game’s only goal came in the 10th minute. Rams junior midfielder Jack Bouchard kicked a high cross into the penalty box and sophomore midfielder Kalle Sotka out-jumped the defense and headed the ball into the net to give Fordham the lead.

The second half saw a lot of physical play as the Rams (3-2) were issued five yellow cards. Bears sophomore forward Ben Maurey was given a red card in the 59th minute, giving the Rams a one-man advantage for the rest of the game.

Despite the advantage, Brown (3-1) outshot Fordham, 18-5, including 11-1 in the second half.

Rams sophomore goalkeeper Sean Brailey made six saves to earn the win and grab his second shutout of the season.

With this win, Fordham is now 3-1 in its last four contests with ranked opponents, having beaten Xavier and Charlotte last season. The Rams now have a two-game win streak, which they will try to extend on Friday when they travel to Long Island, N.Y., to face Stony Brook.

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at [email protected].