UMass basketball lands two new commitments

Jeff Bernstein/Collegian File Photo

Massachusetts basketball coach Derek Kellogg landed a pair of commitments Friday night, according to a report by The Daily Hampshire Gazette’s Matt Vautour.

Seth Berger (6-foot-7, 210 pounds), a small forward from Ballard High School in Seattle, Wash., will join the Minutemen frontcourt in the 2013-2014 season along with small forward Zach Coleman (6-foot-7, 195 pounds) from Dallas, Texas.

Berger received three out of five stars on ESPN’s college basketball recruiting website.

Here is ESPN’s description of Berger:

“Berger is a rangy 4/3 with very good length and solid athleticism. He has a very nice first step off the dribble and he has a knack of getting in the lane for the score. His pull-up game is solid and he is an astute passer. He has a high IQ for the game and has a knack of making winning plays at both ends of the floor. … Berger is a solid athlete, but he isn’t overly bouncy or quick. His frame needs to add strength and it will be interesting to see how his frame fills out to see if he can keep his quickness when he bulks up.”

Coleman initially committed to Missouri in May but changed his mind in favor of UMass. He also received a three-star rating according to ESPN and a teammate of Minutemen freshman guard Trey Davis at Woodrow Wilson High School.

Here is ESPN’s description of Coleman:

“Coleman is a combo forward that has a good basketball IQ and feel for the game. He is a high level passer, good ball handler and pretty good shooter that can extend his range to the arc. Coleman knows how to get his shots in the flow of the game and makes good decisions on the break with the ball in his hands that greatly benefits the team. … Coleman should not only add strength but could be a better rebounder and be more of a physical presence on both ends of the floor. … Coleman is a versatile forward with an excellent skill set. He knows how to play within a team concept. He is a good decision maker with excellent upside and is productive in a variety of ways that positively affects his team.”

Berger and Coleman will join the athletic UMass frontcourt of seniors Terrell Vinson and Sampson Carter, junior Raphiael Putney, sophomore Cady Lalanne and freshmen Izzy Freeman and Tyler Bergantino.

The two commitments will fill the voids in the frontcourt after Vinson and Carter graduate following the upcoming season.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Sellner.