Dayton offense stays hot with 3-0 win, Saint Joseph’s falls in 2OT

The Dayton women’s soccer team has been putting on an offensive show all season long and carried that theme against Wright State in a 3-0 victory on Friday in Dayton, Ohio.

Wikimedia Commons

The Flyers (6-3) made things look easy against a usually strong Raiders (4-2-3) defense that gave up their most goals in a single game all season.

Dayton’s Colleen Williams scored the first and only goal the Flyers would need in the 16th minute after splitting two defenders and netting the ball in the middle of the post, putting her team up 1-0.

Nicole Waters extended the Dayton lead to 2-0 in the 39th minute after dribbling 15 yards and netting an unassisted goal.

To top it all off, the Flyers’ Ashley Campbell scored the third and final goal of the game in the 65th minute to give Dayton a comfortable 3-0 lead.

Friday marked the sixth time in 11 games that the Flyers have scored three or more goals in a game.

The Raiders were out-shot by the Flyers, 34-8. Dayton currently leads the Atlantic 10 in shots (206), points (78) and goals (26). The Flyers are also now second in the A-10 standings, one point behind conference-leading Rhode Island.

Dayton returns to action on Friday with a road tilt at Massachusetts.

Saint Joseph’s suffers double overtime loss at Loyola

Saint Joseph’s continued its struggles with a dragged-out, 3-2, double overtime loss to Loyola on Sunday.

Loyola senior Nichole Schiro finished off her two-goal game with the game-winning score from inside the box with just under two minutes left in the second extra period to edge the Greyhounds (4-2-2) past the Hawks.

Saint Joseph’s (4-4-1) pushed the game to overtime with four seconds left to play in regulation. Taylor Mallory was fouled and awarded a free kick, one that she capitalized on and scored the equalizer with four seconds left on the clock to knot the score, 2-2.

Loyola forward Katelyn McFadden started things off in the 15th minute with a 25-yard boot that found its way into the right corner of the net, giving the Greyhounds a 1-0 advantage.

Mallory scored her first of two goals in the 44th minute to knot up the game, 1-1.

Schiro also had two goals in the game and netted her first score in the 63rd minute, breaking the tie and giving the Greyhounds a 2-1 lead, which they would hold onto until the final minute of regulation.

The Hawks have now lost four of their last five games after being unbeaten in their first four contests.

Saint Joseph’s next game is on the road Friday against Lehigh.

VCU and UMBC both held scoreless in double overtime draw

While it was not pretty, Virginia Commonwealth extended its home unbeaten streak to 10 games on Friday with a 0-0 draw to Maryland Baltimore County.

The Rams (3-2-3) had plenty of opportunities to score the go-ahead goal in what was mostly a one-sided affair.

The struggling Retrievers (1-6-2) were able to withstand the Rams’ plethora of offensive attacks throughout the game, which included a 12-minute period in which VCU took five shots that were either booted too high or saved by UMBC goalkeeper Lauren Kadet.

VCU had no trouble posting its third consecutive shutout as they held an offensively-challenged UMBC team to only two shots in regulation and one shot in each overtime period.

The Rams put up a total of 18 shots including three tries in a three-minute span in the first overtime period that came just short of ending the game.

VCU’s next four games are on the road starting Thursday at William and Mary.

Joey Saade can be reached at [email protected].