Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Youth holding serve for Minutemen

To call the Massachusetts men’s soccer team young may be an understatement.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

After graduating eight players and a graduate student last year, the Minutemen were left with only three seniors coming into this season, including goalkeeper Brian Frame entering his first full year as a starter.

However, it was the underclassmen, not the seniors, that carried the load for a team that finished with a disappointing 4-13-2 mark last year.

Of the six players to score a goal last season, four of them were first or second-year players, including Brett Canepa and Josh Schwartz, who were the team’s only multi-goal scorers.

One thing that UMass coach Sam Koch pointed to before the season was the amount of injuries his team faced last year, forcing him to insert the younger players into the lineup.

Although the results were not what they were hoping for — the Minutemen failed to make the Atlantic 10 tournament — the younger players did gain something valuable: experience.

Canepa believes that experience from last season helped shaped this year’s squad and has formed a stronger core of leaders.

“We got a pretty good core of guys that are stepping up,” Canepa said. “Older guys: seniors, juniors, sophomores, and they’re all helping out.

“We’re leading as a team and we’re all coming together, showing the new guys the ropes.”

Assistant coach Devin O’Neill has especially taken notice of the leadership even in his first season with the team.

“I think we’ve got some great leadership within the squad,” O’Neill said. “Some of those guys who know what it takes to be successful in college soccer, they’re letting the young guys know because this is new territory for the younger guys.”

The need for leadership is especially important on a roster with 15 freshmen, but Canepa feels the first-year players are embracing the opportunity.

“When you come in as a freshman, it’s like a clean sheet, your expectations are always high,” Canepa said. “You (have to) bust your butt. You want to get on the field and help the team out as much as possible.”

It’s been the same old story so far for Schwartz and Canepa, who are, yet again, atop the scoring list for UMass (2-2-2). Schwartz has a pair of goals as a sophomore and Canepa has a goal and an assist as a junior.

This also appears to be the case for the rest of the Minutemen as all five of their goal scorers are either in their second or third seasons at UMass.

What’s different this time around is the Minutemen are seeing better results on the field as they are halfway to last season’s win total through six games (2).

Canepa saved UMass from its third loss of the season on Saturday when his goal with two seconds remaining in regulation knotted the score at one against New Hampshire, leading to an eventual draw.

The theme, however, for this team throughout this young season has not been about the personal accolades, but constantly growing and improving as a team.

This is especially the case for the team’s top point-scorer from last season, Canepa.

“Being the point-leader last year didn’t really mean anything. We barely produced any wins last year,” Canepa said. “I’ve come into this season not worrying about scoring points, but getting my teammates better and coming together as a team.”

With a roster loaded with younger players, it’s likely the next season or two should gradually bring improving results. But Canepa sees the team making progress as the season continues and thinks they’ll be ready to make an impact as soon as conference play opens up on Oct. 6 at Rhode Island.

“We’re on that steady incline going up and we’re getting a lot better,” Canepa said. “As conference play approaches we’re all feeling pretty good as a team coming together.

“We got a few things to work on. We’re almost there we just got to keep working day in and day out and get better.”

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Canelas.

You must be logged in to post a comment.