Minutemen reliant on home field for success this season

Taylor Snow/Collegian

Nearly halfway through the regular season, the key to victory for the Massachusetts men’s soccer team is evident: the fresh grass at Rudd Field.

UMass (3-3-2) is 3-0-1 at home so far this year, while on the road the team has yet to muster a win, tallying a 0-3-1 record.

The Minutemen have played four road games this season, each on artificial turf. That surface appears to be out of UMass’ comfort zone.

“Playing on grass certainly makes a difference,” UMass coach Sam Koch said. “It’s just a nicer environment to play on.”

“We get to sleep in our own beds, eat good food at (the dining halls) and don’t have to travel on the buses – which is good,” said sophomore Zach Miller, who scored his first collegiate goal on Saturday in a 2-0 win over Dartmouth.

The Minutemen have already surpassed last season’s win total at home of two, and a win against Syracuse on Tuesday could match last season’s overall win total with the conference schedule still yet to begin.

Youth movement

One potential reason behind UMass’ struggles on the road could also be attributed to the youth of the team.

Fourteen of the 28 players on the team are freshmen and five are sophomores, leaving only nine upperclassmen on the roster.

Koch acknowledged the difficult transition from high school to Division I college soccer.

“Everybody on the opposing team is like the best player they played against in high school,” Koch said. “The team is pretty young … a lot of the freshmen are coming through. You learn as you go and it’s a big jump .”

The rookies came through in Saturday’s shutout victory, including freshman forward/midfielder Peter Alvarenga, who collected the first points of his collegiate career.

He assisted on Miller’s goal in the final 30 seconds of the first half, and then scored on a diving header off a throw-in in the 62nd minute, assisted by fellow freshman Jay Marchand who also collected his first point.

“We’re stepping up,” Miller said. “With (the youth), we have to step up and play like upperclassmen.”

Taylor C. Snow can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Taylor_C_Snow.