The TV shows you should be watching this fall

Courtesy of imdb.com

TV’s back guys! The fall, or as I like to call it, the most wonderful time of the year, marks the return of good TV to the airwaves (because we know reality TV just wasn’t cutting it all summer). With many new shows premiering this season, it might be difficult deciding what to watch – and what not to waste time on – so I’m here to help you sort it all out. Let’s start with some of the most promising new series:

Go On (NBC, Tuesdays at 9 p.m.): This dramedy starring Friend’s Matthew Perry follows a radio broadcaster whose wife just died. His bosses force him to go to therapy to cope with her death and it’s there that he meets some pretty interesting characters. It’s funny, heartwarming, and brings Chandler Bing back to our television sets, what’s not to like? The show premiered Sept. 11th so a few episodes are out there already, but it won’t be hard to catch up.

Partners (CBS, Mondays at 8:30PM): This comedy starring One Tree Hill’s Sophia Bush, is centered around two co-workers, one gay and one straight, who have to adjust to each other’s serious relationships. To be fair, this one hasn’t aired yet, but it’s getting a significant amount of buzz. Plus, it’s directed by TV legend Jim Burrows aka, the guy who created and directed every episode of Will & Grace. Oh, and he co-created the biggest sitcom of all time: Cheers. Those reasons alone should be reason enough to check out the show when it premieres September 24th.

Last Resort (ABC, Thursdays at 8PM): After a submarine crew defies U.S. orders, they seek solace on a tropical island while trying to clear their names and prove their innocence. I’ll admit, this one is hard to describe; you should just watch it. I did, and it’s actually really good! The show premieres September 27th, but the ABC released the pilot online early.

They can’t all be winners, and this year there are some real stinkers on the primetime lineup. Which ones will mysteriously disappear from our airwaves first? Here are my predictions

Animal Practice (NBC, Wednesdays at 8PM): This comedy is about a surely vet (think Dr. House but with animals) who carries a monkey around and hates people. This one seems like it can get pretty stale with time: how long can animal humor stay funny? Typically, not very long. I can see it getting an audience for the first few episodes, but cancellation is imminent.

Beauty and the Beast (CW, Thursdays at 9PM): A modern day retelling of the classic fairytale except this time, the only thing “beastly” about the lead male is a small scar on his otherwise handsome face. Nice try CW, but from the shaky premise to the less-than-promising previews, this doesn’t look like it will last long.

The Neighbors (ABC, Wednesdays at 8:30PM): A family moves into a suburban, gated community only to find out all of their neighbors are aliens disguised as humans. Yes, that’s the show’s actual description. I know what you’re thinking, and I’m not sure how this got the green light either.

Alexa Hoyle can be reached at [email protected].