Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

How I Met Your Mother season starts off with a bang

Flickr/SawyPyrate

The eighth and possibly final season premiere of the CBS comedy “How I Met Your Mother” didn’t waste any time grabbing its viewers by the heartstrings on Monday night.

In the matter of one episode, the audience is shown a view of the still unknown wife-to-be of main character Ted (Josh Radnor) from the neck down and sparked suspicions that Robin (Cobie Smulders) and Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) have doubts about their wedding.

The episode featured Thomas Lennon in a cameo role as Victoria’s fiancée, Klaus. Though his part in the episode is brief, he manages to slip in a few minutes of nicely executed jokes in a thick German accent while in conversation with Ted. His slapstick performance is typical of Lennon’s acting style and he was a nice surprise to viewers in this premiere. A conversation between Ted and Klaus may give some affirmation to Ted’s relationship with Victoria (Ashley Williams). But, then again, it is fairly clear that they do not wind up together.

The episode starts with Ted sitting on a bench at a train station in a place called Farhampton wearing a tuxedo and looking somewhat distraught. It appears to be following Robin and Barney’s wedding and judging by Ted’s mood, one could venture to guess that he has broken up with Victoria.

The writers of the show have given a number of hints that Victoria is not the mother of Ted’s children. In the show’s history, the narrator (future Ted, as voiced by Bob Saget) has said it’s the story about how he met their mother, and Ted and Victoria met in the first season.

After countless hints and subtle suggestions from Ted as a narrator, we finally know for sure that he meets his wife at the Farhampton train station. In the final moments of the premiere, we return to the same opening scene with Ted sitting on the bench, where a woman gets out of a cab, grabs her guitar out of the trunk and is seen (with her head covered) under a yellow umbrella.

The guitar and umbrella are nods to things Ted has said about his wife from the show’s beginnings. He has alluded to the fact that his ideal woman plays bass guitar and explained that he found the mother’s yellow umbrella after a Saint Patrick’s Day party at a club.

But Ted’s future isn’t the only teasing that the writers did in the season premiere.

Arguably the biggest surprise in the season seven finale was that a wedding was taking place, most likely between Barney and Robin as they are shown in separate rooms at a church in a tuxedo and wedding dress respectively. The premiere suggests hesitation in both characters, and it is yet to be seen if they actually tie the knot.

While most of the information behind Barney and Quinn’s break-up has been said, there is still some explanation to be made about Robin’s relationship with another man named Nick. Writers brought back the romantic dynamic between Barney and Robin, an unlikely couple at first glance, perhaps because they wound up working well together. The writing of the show makes it seem inevitable that they will be married, of course leaving Ted as the last member of the group to find love.

Where does the show go from here?

As mentioned before, it would not be a surprise that Ted and Victoria end their relationship the night of Barney and Robin’s wedding. The writers have also alluded to the idea that Ted meets his future wife at his friends’ wedding.

So who is the mother? That’s the question everyone wants to know.

One of the more logical theories is Barney’s half-sister, Carly.

The first time the show talked about Carly was in season six when Barney meets his father. His father explains that Carly is in college. This would match up with the clue that said the mother was in the economics class that Ted mistakenly taught in his first day as a professor. Also, the more obvious connection is that Carly would be at Barney’s wedding since they are related, which is the setting where Ted meets his future wife.

It’s one theory of many, but it appears to be a logical ending to a helpless romantic’s search for love.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner. Ellie Rulon-Miller can be reached at ellie@dailycollegian.com.

You must be logged in to post a comment.