Ohio remains unbeaten with blowout win

MCT

The Ohio football team finished with a 44-10 win against Norfolk State Saturday at Peden Stadium.

The Bobcats (4-0) took an early lead in the first quarter with a 10-yard touchdown pass from freshman quarterback Derrius Vick to wide receiver Donte Foster. This was one of just 14 passes completed by Vick, who also finished the game rushing a total of 199 yards.

The defense aided Vick in his first career start, keeping Norfolk State scoreless through three quarters.

The Spartans (2-2) struggled in all facets of the game on Saturday, starting with a fumble on the first play from scrimmage forced by Xavier Hughes.

NSU committed 11 penalties and five turnovers, something that Ohio took advantage of.

The only spark from Norfolk State came in the fourth quarter when senior running back Randy Maynes rushed a seven-yard touchdown to finally put the Spartans on the board.

Norfolk State followed that with a successful field goal, making the score 44-10 with 33 seconds left on the clock. However, it was too little, too late.

Ohio takes on Massachusetts Saturday at 3:30 p.m.

Harman field goal completes comeback

Central Michigan beat Iowa 32-31 with a late rally in the closing minutes of play on Saturday.

The Chippewas (2-1) found themselves in a  battle with the Hawkeyes (2-2)  with the score remaining close for the duration of the game.

But with two minutes, 18 seconds remaining in the game, Iowa was holding to a 31-23 lead with the ball in CMU senior quarterback Ryan Radcliffe’s hands.

Radcliffe hit sophomore wide receiver David Titus for a 13-yard touchdown pass with 45 seconds remaining, cutting the lead to 31-29.

However, a failed two-point conversion attempt appeared to put the Hawkeyes in position to win.

But the Chippewas regained possession, and kicker David Harman buried a 47-yard field goal to seal the win for CMU.

Harman also contributed three other field goals  the game from 33, 25 and 20-yards out.

Central Michigan will next play Northern Illinois at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Rockets blast Coastal Carolina

The Toledo football team came out strong  Saturday with a 38-28 victory over Coastal Carolina.

Quarterback Terrance Owens was instrumental in sealing the win for the Rockets (3-1), finishing the game with four touchdowns and completing 27 of his 36 attempted passes.

Owens has yet to throw an interception this season and hasn’t been picked off since Nov. 8 last season.

Wide receiver Bernard Reedy was also key component for the Rockets. The junior  caught 10 passes for a career-high 102 yards and a touchdown.

The Chanticleers (2-2) were the first of the two teams to find the end zone on a one-yard touchdown from Jeremy Height in the first quarter.

Toledo was quick to retaliate with a field goal from Jeremy Detmer followed by a six-yard touchdown pass caught by Cordale Scott.

With touchdowns from both teams in the second and third quarters, the score was 31-21 at the start of the fourth.

Coastal Carolina scored again with a 17-yard pass from Aramis Hillary to Tyrell Blanks, making the score 31-28.

However, the Rockets once again fired back with another touchdown from Scott to seal the win

Next up for Toledo is Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, Mich., at 7:00 p.m.

Kaitlin Boyer can be reached at [email protected].