Despite record, UMass field hockey confident heading into weekend test against No. 24 Maine

Cade Belisle/Collegian

Going 1-5 over any six-game span is typically a bad omen for any team, but Massachusetts field hockey coach Carla Tagliente said that it will not deter her team in its game against No. 24 Maine at Garber Field on Sunday.

“We are pretty motivated right now, no matter who we are playing Sunday,” Tagliente said.

The Black Bears (6-4), on the other hand, seem to be firing on all cylinders, as they are on a five-game winning streak. They’ve been winning handedly during those five victories, as well, outscoring opponents by a combined 18-7.

Tagliente said that their momentum is something to take note of, but that her team’s motivation is stronger than momentum.

“You could argue the same for them that they are worried about us because we are trying to get back on track,” Tagliente said. “So either way, whatever the records are, it is going to be a competitive game.”

While Maine has a better record than UMass (4-6), the Minutewomen can feel confident knowing that they beat Boston College in early September – the same Eagles team that beat the Black Bears earlier this season. But Tagliente does not put too much stock into those outcomes.
“In terms of trying to see how we match up with them, it might give us some sort of a barometer,” Tagliente said. “But right now, I think in terms of confidence, I don’t think we are looking for sources for that at this time.”

In the previous three games, UMass found the back of the cage first and gave itself an early lead, but in two of those matches, it lost the lead and the game. Tagliente wants her team to work on finishing the game.

“I think it is important for us to start strong again and to continue that momentum throughout the game,” Tagliente said.

The Minutewomen’s latest win came last Friday against Vermont when UMass stomped the Catamonts, 10-1, at Garber Field. It was the most goals the Minutewomen have scored in a game since 2009.

Tagliente said she does not expect that type of performance again, but that her team is definitely capable of a scoring onslaught.

“In terms of replicating a performance with that number of goals, that might be a little bit unrealistic,” Tagliente said. “But I don’t think it is unrealistic for us to put three or four goals on the board against Maine.”

Black Bears sophomore defender Annabelle Hamilton has accumulated with a team-high 15 points and was named America East Player of the Week this week after she recorded a hat trick against Quinnipiac. Tagliente said she could not comment on any specific players on Maine, but that she knows it’s a talented team.

“I think they have some strong players, but I think we are a bit stronger right now,” she said.

UMass senior midfielder Kim Young will attempt to rise on the Atlantic 10’s points list, as she ranks fourth with 14 points. Senior defender Thando Zono also ranks fourth on the A-10’s points per game list, with 1.67 points per game.

Tagliente said that the game on Sunday will be decided in the latter part of the match.

“We will come out strong, I have no doubt about that,” Tagliente said. “It is just a matter of how we play between that first five minutes to the ending part that we are trying to nail down right now.”

Matt Levine can be reached at [email protected].