Three video games to look forward to this fall

Facebook

The winter season is usually when the most anticipated videogames are set be released because of parents’ willingness to dish out more cash for the holidays, but this fall season is seeing some major blockbusters hit the shelves way before the first snowfall. Some of the most well-known series are making a comeback this fall and you don’t want to miss them.

Resident Evil 6

Capcom is no stranger to the videogame horror franchise, but the publisher’s most beloved franchise has been under heavy criticism since the release of “Resident Evil 4,” when the series took a dramatic leap into a more action-packed campaign instead of delivering heavy doses of fear. Not everyone thought that this leap was bad, though, and that’s how the formula for the sixth game of the main series came about. The game features separate campaigns, one featuring the series’ signature horror element and another one that focuses on the action gameplay that many fans have come to love. Chris Redfield, Leon Kennedy, Ada Wong and other characters are making a return in this game for another adventure in a zombie-infested world.

Pokémon Black and White 2

This game was released in Japan at the beginning of summer, but the next game in this monster-collecting series is hitting stores in the U.S. early October. The game is a continuation of the first entries of the fifth generation of Pokémon games, which is a new aspect of the series, since the third entry in most Pokémon generations is usually just an updated remake. There aren’t any surprises in this game (updated gyms, content, locations and new rivals), but the game is supposed to make an even bigger step towards developing even richer stories for future Pokémon games, rather than keeping the plotlines fit for elementary school students. Hopefully, this title will be the last game of the franchise on a Nintendo DS platform before the big jump onto 3DS platforms.

Angry Birds Trilogy

Now gamers interested in one of the best-selling mobile phone apps can get their hands on the fun-filled Angry Birds games without an iPhone or Android phone. The popular games “Angry Birds”, “Angry Birds Seasons” and “Angry Birds Rio” are included in this game, which will be featured on the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and the 3DS. The series is famous for its deceivingly complicated and mind-busting puzzles and every mission from the app games (including some bonus content) will be included in this game. The game is quite pricey (about $40), but the critically-acclaimed time waster might be worth the sticker price, especially if you don’t already own an iPhone or Android phone.

Stephen Margelony-Lajoie can be reached at [email protected]