UMass men’s basketball tabbed fifth in Atlantic 10 preseason poll

Maria Uminski/Collegian

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team was picked fifth out of 16 teams in the 2012-13 Atlantic 10 preseason poll, which was announced at the conference’s media day on Thursday at the newly constructed Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

With 434 points and 11 first place votes, Saint Joseph’s was selected first in the poll. The Hawks are closely followed by Saint Louis (432 points, 10 first-place votes), then A-10 newcomer Virginia Commonwealth (410, three) and Temple (394, two).

UMass received two first-place votes, finishing with 389 points, and was followed by conference newcomer Butler, which finished with 347 points and two first-place votes. Rounding out the top 10 was La Salle (281), Dayton (264), Xavier (239) and Richmond (235).

Last year’s conference tournament champion, St. Bonaventure, finished 11th (170), and was followed by Charlotte (145), George Washington (112), Fordham (84), Rhode Island (76) and Duquesne (68) to round out the conference.

The poll was voted on by a combination of 30 coaches and media members.

Williams named to first team

UMass point guard Chaz Williams, who was instrumental in the Minutemen’s run to the National Invitation Tournament semifinals last season, was named to the A-10’s preseason first team.

Williams, junior, is the only non-senior on the team. He is joined by Dayton guard Kevin Dillard, Fordham forward Chris Gaston, Temple guard Khalif Wyatt and Saint Louis forward Kwamain Mitchell.

No other UMass player was named to the conference’s second team, third team, All-Defensive team or All-Rookie team.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.